Speedo and odometer not working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedo and odometer not working?

Explorer486k

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford Explorer
I am new to the site and purchased a 1995 explorer 486,000 miles with a manual transmission 4x4 xlt about a year ago. I have replaced almost the entire suspension because of the miles. One day the speedo and odometer just quit? I have replace both the sensor in the transfer case and rear diff. All fuses are good and the cruise doesn't work also. I have also looked at all the wiring leading to these sensors and have not found any obvious problems. I didn't know if this is a common problem with the manual tranny 4.0l ohv setup but honestly am not a Ford guy. However I am seeing the "light" considering this vehicle has this many miles and no rust anywhere on it! Anyway any help would be great! thank you in advance!

this is on a ranger site, but its the same principle i'm sure:

The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) receives vehicle speed information from the antilock brake system rear wheel speed sensor. The raw signal from the ABS/VSS sensor on the rear axle goes directly to the Explorer 4WABS module where the signal is corrected for tire diameter. Then the corrected signal is sent to the PCM, speed control, cluster, etc. In this system, the PCM is an end user of the corrected VSS signal.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/speedometer.shtml

Back