Speedo cable bolt broke

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
The one that bolts the cable to the top of the X-fer case. Well it sheared off when I tried to remove it.
Any suggestions on how to remove the rest of the bolt? The head broke off. There's a little of the thread sticking out from the hole in the x-fer case. I tried some PB Blaster for days & some vice grips, & that doesn't do anything. I couldn't get a good enough grip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a nice power set: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00952156000
lt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=norm&op_usm=0.5,1.0,0.jpg

Anyone have any sugestions that don't cost $$? I'll get these kits if I have too. Never used them, not sure they would work on this application. I can barly get my hand in there, I don't see a drill fitting.

You would have to either drop down the transfer case, and drill it out while it is front of you, or use an angle drill (or an angle drill attachment for a regular drill). If you don't feel comfortable drilling it out, you might just want to give it into a machine shop.

you can try and tach weld a an old screw driver to it.

No welding tools, forget about taking the X-fer caser out. I'll just leave it zip tied for the time being.

I hate the fact that everytime I try to unbolt someting it breaks. Pisses me off :(

Heat

You have to use heat when taking old stuff apart, and then antiseize when you put it back together.... :fire:

You live in FL, and have bolts break on you?

90% of the bolts that i take out look like how they did when my truck rolled off the assembly line =)

The reverse drill bit technique works very well.

You live in FL, and have bolts break on you?

Yep......& no rust either. My He Man strength just gets the best of me :D

I'll try the reverse drill this weekend. I found a friend that has a right angle drill.

Mine did that when i swaped in the 1354, I managed to hold the sensor in with a couple of zip ties. It must work cuz its been like that for 3 years with no problems. Good Luck

I got it out. Those ez-drill bits were useless. I'm glad sears took them back for a refund. Wound up drilling the hole out bigger, then retaping the hole to fit a 1/4" bolt. Now it's fine.

Thanks

If you ever want to use the same bolt size, you could just insert a helicoil thread repair kit. It looks like a spring. Those EZ out drill bits require a little practice before using them if you are not familiar with them. Drilling too fast could cause them to walk away from their center point. If it tries to catch after it reaches it's half way point, and goes too fast, it will either break off, or just skip, and continue drilling. How did you end up getting a drill in there? Did you use an angle drill?

Yeah a friends right angle drill got in there.

Back