speedo gear, '92, 3.73's and 33" tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speedo gear, '92, 3.73's and 33" tires

Let me start off by saying I have read all the pertaining old posts on this and I'm still not sure what gear I need. Here's why:

"You need to know what stock speedometer gear you have before making your calculations." Well, I hear it's really easy to check, but my speedo cable/gear housing fell apart/got destroyed almost 8 months ago and a shop rigged it back together with zip ties (yes, zip ties) and I'm afraid of taking that Frankenstein apart and not getting it back on again. They are going to do it properly in a week and I figure I might as well have them put in the right gear for my setup. i would like to give them this gear before they start so they can do this ASAP (this beast is also my daily driver)

I have a '92 with stock 3.73 diff gears and 33" tires. So, in one old post, somebody said their stock '92 with 3.73s had a stock 19 tooth tan speedo gear. Does that sound right?

Second, those d@mn formulas :fire: at the Ranger Station! I get different resluts with each one ! One says:

(Current Teeth x Speedo Reading)/Actual Speed = new Teeth

(19 x 55mph)/65mph = 16 teeth, approx.

Another:

(Drive Gear Teeth x Axle Ratio x Tire Rev. Per Mile)/1000 = Driven Gear Teeth

tire rev per mile = (ft per mile)/(tire circumference)=5280/(2*pi*R)=5280/(2*3.14159*1.375)=611.1555

where 1.375=radius in ft of a 33" tire

so

(19*3.73*611.1555)/1000=43.3126 teeth! Obviously there's not a gear w/ this many teeth. Bad math on my part, or a bad formula?

Thanks in advance :chug: to anyone who can put my shattered, tired mind :banghead: at ease.

...so, based on that article:

original teeth +1 tooth = -5 mph correction,

so it stands to reason, then, that:

original teeth - 1 tooth = +5 mph speedo correction

and

original teeth - 2 teeth = +10 mph speedo correction

Mine reads 55 when I'm going 65, so I need a new gear with 2 less teeth than what I've got now. Guess I'm gong to have to take a look at that original gear now, just to be certain I've got a 19 tooth stock gear. If the shop can put it together with zip ties, then I'm sure I can duplicate it :hammer:

Thanks, Alec, you've been a big :afro: help!

Back