Speedo Gear for 35's and 5:13 gears?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedo Gear for 35's and 5:13 gears??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the largest gear Ford makes has 21 teeth.

I believe Alec mentioned you can get gears with more teeth from the Mustang aftermarket but I have never seen them.

You will need more teeth then you have.
The 21 tooth will make a slight improvement over the 20 tooth.

Have you tried using the tooth calculator to tell you how many teeth you will need?

www.therangerstation.com

I think you are going about this all wrong, what you really need with thoise 5.13's is not another speedo gear but actually 37" tires :)

hahahaha

5.13 w/35's

you'll be 3mph slow through entire speed range!

done with gps!!

can't you just buy an apten chip calibrated for the tire/gear combo?

A 23 tooth is available. Try Steeda online. The main problem with the 23 tooth is that the teeth are so thin that the gear strips prematurely. Some last 5 K; others last 55 K. The advantage is obvious with an accurate speedometer, but also the odometer will not register excess miles (doubt you are too woried about registering extra but with lower mileage vehicles excess miles reduce resale price.)

I have a GPS and have checked the speedometer for several trips. Its off by a percentage of the speed the vehicle is traveling, as all mechanical speedo's are. Its way more than three miles per hour, by the way. I'm used to it now, but I like knowing the milage on a trip, and its way over actual milage driven. I like the 37's idea, but would have to shave more off the fenders, and they would not fit in the rear due to the rear doors. A chip won't help cause its a mechanical speedo.

Thanks for all your help.

with the 21T? Your more than 3mph off?

Back