Speedometer "Flutter" or shake | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer "Flutter" or shake

Post number 3 has been selected as best answered.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I removed the cluster again and tried adding some oil to the gauge (all of the various types of grease I had seemed too thick). Instead of fluttering it started doing a much smaller bounce and then it sort of evened out, but I'm not entirely sure that the speed it is indicating is accurate. I'm going to check the speed on my phone app and see how accurate it is. Everything is stock on the vehicle so I don't feel as if it needs a different gear. If the gauge seems inaccurate or begins to bounce again then I may purchase a new speed sensor just because this one is the original.
The sensor doesn't have anything to do with what the gauge displays. So if you are to replace it based on the gauge fluctuation, it will not help, unless the housing is damaged like mentioned earlier in this thread. The speedo is totally mechanical. The sensor is used by the PCM to control transmission functions and the cruise control module for maintaining vehicle speed.

If the speedo's accuracy is in question, it will be because of the drive ratio for it, or the clock spring that gives the needle it's resistance to spin. These are very delicate springs.

The gauge in my 92 sport seemed off when I bought it. I only noticed as i have so many of these vehicles. One day I removed it from the vehicle and compared it to 2 others by spinning it with a drill. I had a spare and the dash out of the my 94 EB at the time. The other gauges spun the same speed, about 40mph on the guage. The sport's ran about 32. I was able to adjust this by spinning the needle to "loosen" the spring, basically bending it until it would read the same as the others with the drill. Its worked ever since. Im not sure how it lost its adjustment, but i could fix it due to it's mechanical nature. I imagine one could also "tighten" the spring to bring indicated speed down.

Keep in mind the speedo is a delicate device and care must be taken to keep from destroying it. If you try this, just be aware.

I had this issue and this is what I found when I pulled my speed sensor apart. Came apart in pieces. Fixed it and is super smooth now.

View attachment 422425
TY! Is this the speedometer parts down in/on the automatic transmission?? If so, is there any easy way to locate it?? I may attempt to fix my annual "cold weather-only" speedo "bounce"... Have read for years that some ?gear? needs to be cleaned/lubed *somewhere* on/in auto transmission.
Best!
CD

That part is in the rear of the transmission. The U shaped metal retainer has one bolt connecting it, and the cable comes out from the rear when you remove the hair pin retainer. Put a pan underneath to catch transmission fluid.

That part is in the rear of the transmission. The U shaped metal retainer has one bolt connecting it, and the cable comes out from the rear when you remove the hair pin retainer. Put a pan underneath to catch transmission fluid.
TY!!

Back