Speedometer is Shakey | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speedometer is Shakey

Maverick0007

Reaction score
I have a shakey speedometer. I read the threads and replaced the cable, but when I replace the cable and went to but the clip back in the plastic broke, and I had to rig the clip back in, is that piece replacable, and is there any other suggestions in why my speedometer would still be shaking after cable replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard the speedo gear may be worn. You can try to replace that. It's only like $7.

Where is that gear located? Near where I plug the cable in underneath the vehicle? Is it hard to replace?

If your 4x4 it's on the top of the x-fer case. If it's 2wd it on the end of the transmission housing.
Search to find where & how to replace it.

Do you know what or where I can get the part. I tried a search for speedo gear, nothing came up under autozone.

There are different colored gears for the specific ratio. I once saw a thread here about that color code. The gear is located on the opposite side of the VSS sensor. That is the part that the cable plugs into. You will get a little fluid leaking out from there when you pull it out.

Do you know if that part is replacable? I broke a part off trying to get the clip back in when I put the speedometer cable back in.

Are you talking about the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), or just some sort of mounting bracket that holds the cable? The VSS has a retaining clip that has a shape a little like an ant's body. It looks like this:
()
()
)(
The piece where the cable holds is in the center of the clip.

There is also another part that holds the VSS down with one bolt. It looks a little like a horse shoe with a hole for a bolt. Here is another diagram of that (sorry for the poor diagram)!
(o)
) (

It must be the vehicle speed sensor because it has that ant clip, and fluid came out when I took the speedometer cable out. vss right?

Ok, well I have a new vss on order, so I will try that to see if that gets rid of the shakey speedometer, if not I will try the gear.

I was looking at some VB clips in this link: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=clip. Some of them look very similar, but are hard to tell from the picture if they are the same size as the one that you lost. Take a look at the last one. It is for a front wheel drive Ford. Where did you order the VSS from? The dealer?

yeah the dealer. is the gear that we are talking about is the located on the vss? I was looking at some pictures.

Yes, that's where it is. Did you notice any damage on your old gear when you pulled out the old VSS? What color was that gear? How much was the VSS from the dealer? A dealer once told me that they are all the same part #, but have a different gear.

ill have to check this out..mine's been doing this since i bought it in January..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back