Speedometer lights not working

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
My speedometer lights are currently not working. I do have a new light switch in there plus, the fuse I just replaced with my spare didn't look blown. Plus the fuse that I believe to be new did not make it work ether.

My speedometer lights are currently not working. I do have a new light switch in there plus, the fuse I just replaced with my spare didn't look blown. Plus the fuse that I believe to be new did not make it work ether.

What year Explorer do you have? Your member info says 1991. This forum is for '95-'01's, so I don't know it the gauge clusters would be similar. The '95-'01's have 6 cluster illumination bulbs. Have you replaced the bulbs around the speedo? If you have replaced bulbs and they still don't work my guess would be that you probably have an issue/break in the ribbon circuit film on the back of the cluster. The speedo bulbs would be on the same circuit as the other 4 bulbs, so I don't think you have a switch or fuse issue, as if you did none of the 6 gauge illumination bulbs would work.

Below is a pic of the front of the '91-'94 explorer gauge cluster.
s-l1600.jpg

Below is a pic of the back of '91-'94 Explorer gauge cluster (many bulbs):
s-l1600.jpg

The '95-'01 gauge cluster below (only 6 bulbs):
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Great well forgot I was posting in a second gen thread but thank you. Because it's probably an issue with the film/ribbon circuit in the back since it just all the sudden stopped working.

You can use a multimeter to check continuity and/or resistance, or voltage stopping on the circuit path to the bulbs when they should be one, as well as checking each individual bulb for being open circuit (blown).

Considering the age of the vehicle, once you have it apart I would go ahead and put new bulbs in it anyway.

If it is the ribbon connector, rarely I find the contacts on the film can get a corrosion or dirt buildup and just need rubbed with a slight abrasive cloth like a dry paper towel, or with contact cleaner on it if there was an especially dirty operating environment. Contact cleaner might also be used in the ribbon connectors or if they too are quite bad, a thin piece of single ply cardboard, like a cereal box wall, can be cut to size and slipped in and out of the connector, also with contact cleaner added if needed.

Before all that, do use a multimeter to find where the circuit is broken.

Back