Spiffing-Up the Rig

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
Ok, this has turned into exterior paint and seat covers!

Yep, The old front seat covers have about had it and I want matching covers for the rear. I am going to try Marathon covers made from cordura nylon for toughness in Typhon Kryptek Camo and I just also found a center consul on sale by Rampage. I swapped 2001 Edge Ranger high back bucket/bench seats in some time ago. Once I got the gal I ordered from to understand that, she got my order correct, 2001 Ranger Edge front and 2000 X rear seats. I may not have them till the end of April, as they make them as ordered in Montana. I plan to update the thread with the install of them and the consul.
This is a couple of samples of Typhon Kryptek Camo on seats:
front-seat-cover.jpg

rear-seat-cover.jpg

And the consul:
center-console.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I often forget the before pictures for later comparison. So, I am going to show the ugly here, not bad, but will take some pics of what I got now.

mismatched-set.jpg

front-seats.jpg

rear-seat.jpg

The Marathon Seat covers I ordered are still likely a month out for delivery.

I felt I really needed to get going on paint! I got four colors on the truck now since I screwed-up the rear hatch and installed a metallic blue hatch. She is black, red, blue, and grey now.
back-quarter.jpg

side.jpg

I have started greying-out the truck now, going satin black and a light grey primer. The light grey primer should be much cooler and hopefully help with the additional heat of headers and supercharger. It will be easily touched-up as it's flat. It has a black mask, will be black from the side trim and fender flairs down and rear bumper down. I'll keep the racks black but likely paint the rocket box grey.

This rig has a Ranger Edge front fenders and hood. I stitch welded in explorer fender edges to match the Explorer doors. I ventilated the hood and fenders to help with heat. I need to tighten-up my first and hurried effort at bondo on the fenders.

I think this is a good start:
front-mask.jpg

Very nice. In ‘paint’ try black pillars so the blend with windows/mirrors

Thank You, I think I prefer this:
side.jpg

I got the center consul in. I ripped-out the combo Tape/CD holder and glued carpet in over the raw pressed board in the back section.

consul-side.jpg

consul.jpg

I got more primer on her, fenders and cowl, and the front mask with bedliner. I took time to get the cowl at the fender and fender at the door look better. I think I will continue to prep and paint front to back and top down.........................top next. I am hoping a camping trip or trips get in the way of progress these next few weekends.

front.jpg

I definitely like how much more pronounced the ranger front end looks. Before the paint job blended it in a little. I liked the old one too. But new fresh and clean paint you have mocked up will look nice. For some reason the top shield being all white seems too much but I am weird. I did red vinyl on my roof rack to match my grill reds. Or say the hood vents / scoops maybe accents those in black like the front is to make em pop? Though is counter productive slightly for the heat mitigation.

I definitely like how much more pronounced the ranger front end looks. Before the paint job blended it in a little. I liked the old one too. But new fresh and clean paint you have mocked up will look nice. For some reason the top shield being all white seems too much but I am weird. I did red vinyl on my roof rack to match my grill reds. Or say the hood vents / scoops maybe accents those in black like the front is to make em pop? Though is counter productive slightly for the heat mitigation.
Thanks, I may accent the hood vents eventually. The top shield may stay black as the rack will stay black. It will evolve as I go, glad to have the hood and fenders lightened-up. One can place their hand on the light gray in the sun and hold it there, the black is hot and burns. We have a FLIR camera at work, I am going to see if I can take some pics with it.

I replaced an inner tie rod yesterday and touched the grey with greasy hands, looks like I will do a top coat to seal it and get a good gun to spray it.

I have got the rest of the week off and could get a bunch done on the truck, but the weather is looking great for camping............................We are going to use it over the next four or five days.

I am tracking seat covers for delivery by 7pm tomorrow! It's only been 10 weeks! Jeez, I think they will be worth the wait.

It should also be a good day to get more painting done as well tomorrow.

The front seat back covers are short. Over all I think they will be cool but I got to get the correct front seat backs and a better fit on the passenger front bottom.

rear.jpg

rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

cargo.jpg

drivers-front.jpg

front-back-short.jpg

front-back-short2.jpg

Poop! It appears someone swapped 2005 and later 60/40 bench buckets into the Ranger Edge which I then I swapped into my X...........................So frustrating!!!!
I ordered the old black seat covers that were on the seats and they fit? I did have to take pictures of the seats and send them in to the prior company and they sent the correct covers. I wish I knew they were not stock to the 2001................................So Frustrating!!!!!

I have been able to make the front bottoms fit well, but the backs won't work. I am checking to see of they will make me the proper seat backs...............................................So frustrating, Covid is the excuse for being 10 weeks out on orders and not giving me a return call..................So frustrating!!!!!!

Somebody send the Whaaaaaaaambulance!

I got resolution from Marathon, $163 dollars for the two backs and passenger bottom that will fit! They are giving free shipping and I suggested getting pics when a ding dong like me calls-in with a mixed order. They are also going to rush the order so I should have them in a week or two.

I got the front seats installed/fixed and it looks to be a good weekend for painting. I would like to get the top done.

drivers-3.jpg

drivers-2.jpg

I have had to much to do on the house lately, landscaping after we had have two large trees removed, repairing a roof leak, adding some rain gutters, and I still need to paint the south side............................but I am squared-off now but for the paint. I have been able to get some time off in the morning to work around the house.

I am taking back my time now for my rig. I was able to trim the bumper ends at an angle, trace end caps on to some 1/8" plate, cut 'em out, weld 'em on and paint them this morning. I am glad to get back to painting the rig before my work gets too busy and should have some time to do so in the next couple of weeks.

Before:
rear.jpg

Trimmed bumper and capped ends:
bumper.jpg

close-up-bumper.jpg

Looking good. I’d permanently mount that sub, though. You roll that truck over that could VERY easily become a death sentence.

Thanks

Yup, The sub woofer is ratchet strapped in the back now and is not taken on camping trips. I had it mounted, it got in the way of folding seats down and making a bed in back.

Hell yah, I got the drivers side primed! That only leaves the passenger side and hatch to be squared-off and looking better. When it is squared off, I am going to black-out the hood vents, then I may then paint some of the interior door jambs and such.

This is from some roofing info:
Black 5% reflectivity ambient temp of 90 degrees = 180 degrees surface temp in the sun.
White 85% reflectivity ambient temp of 90 degrees = 100 degrees surface temp in the sun.
Aluminum coating 60% reflectivity ambient temp of 90 degrees = 160 degrees surface temp in the sun.

Compare, the first pic is what I was looking to achieve, but done in microsoft paint.

side.jpg

drivers-paint.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmmmmm...found a couple of black and chrome Ford ovals to place on the fenders over the old Ranger emblem holes.

Back