Sport Trac riding 37"s, WHAT!?!

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
As some of yall know the lifted 2wd on 37"s is no more, i ripped all my lift(cept the body) and im running 31"s right now. I planned on trading my truck in and getting something newer and nicer, not sure what, was thinking a car or something, but than i got to thinking a sport trac would look bad ass on 37's, what yall think?

This time id prolly get a 4wd, and dont start giving me **** that the CVs wont handle it and ****, i shouldnt have a problem if i dont offroad right? i learned my lesson though its harder to sell a lifted 2wd than a 4wd, i woulda had my truck sold 20 times over if it woulda been 4wd.

So im thinking, 03 or so sport trac, 4" super lift, 2"TT, 3"s body, and hope i can clear 37"s without a **** load of trimming, i wish they mad a damn 6" lift but oh well...

So give me yalls opions :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To be COMPLETELY honest I would get the RCD kit if you want clearance. Right now I sit at 4.75" of lift. I can change the spring out for more lift just like any other coilover. MY CVs are almost the same angle then when I was lowered. I can easily go up another 3" without extending anything. My 35s only rub when I hit a big bump turning with no front swaybar. Also I can get up a 28" dirt hill without lifting a tire :)

boominXplorer said:
To be COMPLETELY honest I would get the RCD kit if you want clearance. Right now I sit at 4.75" of lift. I can change the spring out for more lift just like any other coilover. MY CVs are almost the same angle then when I was lowered. I can easily go up another 3" without extending anything. My 35s only rub when I hit a big bump turning with no front swaybar. Also I can get up a 28" dirt hill without lifting a tire :)

Whats the price on the RCD?

i belive its 3500 give or take

2300 just about everywhere online. Superlift is around 1600. You'll have to buy the superlift driveshaft with either one which is around 400. Lucky me I having the 5.0 I did the 4406 swap and I am going to be using an f150 front driveshaft. Thing is I will have to make a custom tranny crossmember.

boomin are we still swapping tailhousings??

ur insane

I know of a stockish Sport trac sitting on 35's with just fiberglass fenders up front and no lift yet

Something to consider

why is he insane? there are quite a few sport tracs on 37" tires already

yea im insane, everyone knows it... :D

my explorers on 31"s staying that way, i plan to keep it for another year or so, while i build up a car, not saying what or anything, just that it should be decent when i get done....

that unless i run into some hardtimes in the future, which might happen, just have to see what happens..

I'll preface this by saying that the photo is not my truck, but it's on 37's.

07-25-06%20007.jpg

I'd go with either the RCD or Dixon Bros. Ranger kit for the front, sprung over on the rear, with fiberglass fenders you might not need a bodylift, or use a bodylift.
You will need more gear to turn 37's, which is an issue because AFAIK the highest gear you can get for the front Dana 35 is a 4.56. The Trac in the photo is a 4x2 and it has 5.13 gears in the rear.

I'm not worried about your CV's, I'd be a bit more worried about the V6 auto transmission

Heavy 4x4 with 37" tires and 4.56 gears? Better upgrade the trans cooler and get a gage

big tires make the holes seem smaller

2wd CAN go off road, it just depends on where you are going

2wd CAN go off road, it just depends on where you are going

I am truly uneducated in how the off road world works to be quit honest, but I would think anything requiring 37" tires would be pretty much impossible with 2wd. But again I dont know anything about off roading.

Johnstone on 37" tires.

410708210012.jpg

Here are some 2wd cars and trucks:

Big tires swollow holes
Big tires gain ground clearance
big tires provide more traction (larger contact patch)
big tires hold more air and have taller sidewalls = more air space between rim and dirt = more grip, more float, and more forgiving.

Now you are correct in thinking 90% of th ebuilt trucks you see on the road with big tires on them are built as show queens, but not all 2wd trucks stay out of the dirt

I am truly uneducated in how the off road world works to be quit honest, but I would think anything requiring 37" tires would be pretty much impossible with 2wd. But again I dont know anything about off roading.

Not impossible, i proved that with my explorer, and till today am still proving that... :D

I love those pocket flares on that ST--Obviously, the fronts will fit a sport, but does anyone know what kind of mods are necessary to get the rear flares on a Sport?

Sorry for the Threadjack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

x3 on the RCD or if you got the bucks the dixon kit. Just ditch the t-bars :thumbsup:

Back