• Register Today It's free!

Sport trac starting problem

trtlsdadnc

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford explorer sport
Hello everyone, My name is David and I am seeking advice on a problem with my 2004 Ford Explorer sport trac xlt. A couple of weeks ago I was getting set for a trip to Ocracoke Island on the outer banks and my truck didn't want to start up as she usually did. I put the key in turned it and heard from under the hood a clicking sound that sounded like it came from the battery, I cleaned the post off and once again attempted to crank the old girl up, but still the clicking from under the hood and also from what seems like in the dash and the speedometer needle was shaking with the clicking. I let her sit for a few hours and went outside and viola! she started. I went about my errands that day and once again she would not start, I got a jump and drove to the nearest auto zone and was told it was my alternator. I replaced the alternator, recharged my battery and a week later here we go again. I've tried both keys, got a jump and was told my battery is good, What could it be? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Corroded cables? Bad ground? That's what I would look at first.

Back