Spot Painting gone array | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spot Painting gone array

Ok, so a while back I got on here and tried to find a solution to some scratches that were on the X when I bought it. I found a write up on spot painting and gave it a shot. :mad: Not a good idea. It just didn't turn out the way I planned. (Probably my lack of painting skills). So now I'm trying to find a good painter in the Chicago area that will do a few touch ups for me. Because I don't have the flow to paint the whole truck. Question. What sounds like a good price for :

3 spots on front of hood
1 spot on Driver front panel
2 spots Dr door
2 spots pass door
1 spot Dr back door
1 spot pass back door

?

I know thats a lot of spots but oh well. I have decided to make the X my complete hobby. If anybody knows anyone that paints in the Chicago area, holler at me. And if you have an idea on what a decent price would be let me know. Thanks and sorry for the length.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for a quality job the whole panel will need to be shot, and likely the adjacent panel.

Quality, you are looking at at least $1,000.00, closer to two.

I would just skip the touch ups and redo the whole thing. Its not worth the hassle, and you won't get the results you want.

Yeah, I think you guys are right. I talked to a really good painter out here and he said it would probably be like 3 0r 4 G's. :confused:
It is going to have to wait till I get the necessary funds. I don't want to
half-a$$ it.

Thanks for the opinions.

three or four sounds like an all over, you can get some of the pannels for less.

If there were guarantees that you weren't going to get chips and dings again, I would just wait it out for a bit until you have more money and then get the whole thing done. I would love to get a new paint job, but I know I'm going to fnck my paint up in the future (and I'm dirt poor) so eventually I'll get it. I like using the clear nailpolish trick. Sure it's still there, but it has a little protection and I won't have to have all those unmatched color touch ups

man thats crazy! i dont know bout' 1 grand. ( i know i know MONMIX know what hes talkin about) 3-4 grand is alot for a new paint. hope you get it fixed

3-4 G sounds like a lot to me, but it does depend on what colour and type of paint you are using. A red tri-coat paint using dupont chromobase or something like that would be expensive though. But an enamel Nason paint would be a lot cheaper. Just something to take into consideration thats often overlooked. But I always say you get what you pay for with paint. You can have a 300 dollar job (Maaco) or a 10G paint job.

Yeah the 3G's was a quick over the phone estimate for an all over. Getting the panels done might be cheaper but I don't think that they would match...I'm not quite sure.

A company out of Des Plaines called Carnica:

http://carnicainc.com/Services/PaintRepair/tabid/709/Default.aspx

They usually travel to car dealerships and fix chips and scratches etc. They have multiple locations. Been a while since I used them but they did decent work. They usually travel to car dealerships to do touch ups on lot vehicles. Watched one guy mix up paint onsite in his van, then he airbrushed all the scratches and chips on multiple panels. He used some type of cleaner to take the overspray off and the paint stayed in the chips etc. It looked pretty decent.

A company out of Des Plaines called Carnica:

http://carnicainc.com/Services/PaintRepair/tabid/709/Default.aspx

They usually travel to car dealerships and fix chips and scratches etc. They have multiple locations. Been a while since I used them but they did decent work. They usually travel to car dealerships to do touch ups on lot vehicles. Watched one guy mix up paint onsite in his van, then he airbrushed all the scratches and chips on multiple panels. He used some type of cleaner to take the overspray off and the paint stayed in the chips etc. It looked pretty decent.

HUGE environmental issues with these guys.
That and I have never seen quality and or longevity come from one of these guys.
But thats just me.

Back