painting gray bumpers and flares to match truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

painting gray bumpers and flares to match truck

i have a white sport with gray ground effects, and i want to paint all the gray on my truck white (like a number of others have done with other colored trucks.) the thing is though, my white paint is already a royal PITA to keep nice, and more of it could present a problem, especially bumpers and flares which take a lot of small rocks and just general abuse in the form of copious amounts of dirt. i suppose i could just get a bumper cover for the front from bumpers.com, but what about the rest? any thoughts?

Ok, i have a question. On the 99+ bumpers...what is the deal with bumper covers. What is that? I know it sounds like what it is...but what does a normal 99+ bumper look like? I dunno...i am just confused. I have been looking to get a 99+ bumper for my 96 and at bumpers.com they have a "dressed" bumper for the X. Does that have a "bumper cover" on it?

um, im not sure what a dressed bumper is, but a bumper cover just covers the bumper. its the same shape as a 99 bumper, but you can order it in colors and i dont think itll chip like the real bumper - it goes right over the real bumper on your truck. i mean, you could just paint the bumper whatever color you want, but its easier with a bumper cover and its gives more protection - the real bumper wont get damaged (unless you smash into something.)

what does a normal 99 bumper look like? um, tough to describe - its got those 2 vertical bar like things sticking out of it. i think it looks a lot nicer than my 98 bumper.

if you search for YetiX, he put a 99 bumper on his 96 and put a white bumper cover on it too - it looks really cool.

I think Jefe has the late model bumper without a cover on it. It looks different without the rubbermaid on it.

Originally posted by XLT_66
Ok, i have a question. On the 99+ bumpers...what is the deal with bumper covers. What is that? I know it sounds like what it is...but what does a normal 99+ bumper look like? I dunno...i am just confused. I have been looking to get a 99+ bumper for my 96 and at bumpers.com they have a "dressed" bumper for the X. Does that have a "bumper cover" on it?
Talk to espnfreak or catch him on AIM at Jewelbagger
Pete

Back