Spring over

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
Back when I was still modifying my 92 'Sploder, I had a concept idea for a spring over that would have solved a couple of problems at one time.

Basically, I was going to do a standard spring over for the axle; weld on the perches, and bolt it up, but with a twist on the front mount.

Instead of running the factory rock-catcher mount, I was going to pocket that mount up into the frame rail.

That would have the advanatage of a smooth rail (if I got hung up, it was virtually always on that mount!) and also reduce the amount of lift to about 3", which would make the front end work much easier than 5-6", with all the steering issues, etc.

I no longer have the 'Sploder, and am working on a full-custom Ranger build, but I thought that I'd toss out the idea for others contemplating the spring-over modification, but not wanting all that extra lift.

What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the biggest issue is stress:

- On level ground, the top of the frame rail is under compression while the bottom of the frame rail is under tension. If you were to cut into the frame rail at that point, you'd have to beef it up pretty good or else tears might form after some flexing on the trail (or jumps).

- When the vehicle is climbing up a steep incline, almost all of the weight is loaded on those two front leaf spring mounts (the shackle doesnt hold much weight since it pivots, neither does the front suspension). Again, more beefing up.

A cage would also probably help greatly in distributing the stresses away from this part of the chassis.

As an alternative, you can also outboard (relative to the chassis) the leaf springs which would tuck them up above the bottom of the frame rail -- only thing you'd have to do is weld in a new rear cross member to mount the shackles to, the front hanger, and move the spring perches on the axles out a bit.

I don't think that there would need to be a strength compromise by pocketing in the spring mounts. They're done that way on a number of trucks, but I agree that some plating would be a good thing.

The frame on the Explorers has always been one of the issues in being a truly competent off-road vehicle. Wish they would have used the Ranger design on the back half as well. Would have been much better, but I expect that having floorboards that worked were more important to Ford than having a truly off-road capable vehicle.

Back