sprucing up the Trac!

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
it's been pretty hard to find free time at home to do minor work on my trac, so this week, i drove it to work (i usually take the train) and left it at my shop for the week and every lunch, ive been chipping away at some of the stuff i wanted to get done. so far, ive done the routine oil change/tire rotation, fluid top offs, and gave her a proper bath for the first time in over two years. we've had a drought here in CA, so i was trying to do my part to conserve water, and since we had a good rainy winter, she got the spa treatment, a good hard scrubbin' wax, polish, all the good stuff. then i did a touch up paint job on the bumpers i painted black. after about 5 years, they looked like the picture below, but i sorted it out. i was also able to get my aux lights back on the truck. i had to take them down when i got this new thule basket a year or so back, and i kept lagging building a mounting solution. i took some old scrap parts laying around the fab shop and made some quick mounting brackets and secured an old crossbar that was cut to size to fit my lights on.

WP_20160712_18_12_51_Pro_zpslzxs6aio.jpg

i couldnt find krylon fusion paint anywhere so i went with the rustoleum. i didnt like how it laid down, the krylon was far better.

WP_20160714_12_34_07_Pro_zpsbslwhpm3.jpg

WP_20160714_12_34_14_Pro_zpsn2ama7nj.jpg

WP_20160714_12_34_22_Pro_zpstn9zrcsr.jpg

WP_20160714_12_34_35_Pro_zps8guxafx4.jpg

here she is in front of my workshop clean as a whistle!
WP_20160714_14_56_34_Pro_zpsma0rlzwq.jpg

WP_20160714_14_56_43_Pro_zps4wzgex97.jpg
WP_20160714_14_56_43_Pro_zps4wzgex97.jpg

WP_20160714_14_56_58_Pro_zps0lzotf6e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way to make the rest of us feel bad!
I love the black and white!

Great looking Trac!

How Much lift do you have, and are those after market fenders?

Good looking work as usual.

Looks good man!

Very awesome truck! Been seeing your truck through instagram. What was the process that you went through in prepping for the paint job?

thanks again fellas, as always, i must bow down to @MidnightRebel07 and @01STrunner for their supreme tracs! i wish i had the time to keep up with these guys.

i think i did a paint how to on the cladding and bumpers a long time ago, ill see if i can find it for you. @SJEric

@SJEric here are a few links that might help you.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/library/... plastic cladding on 2001 Ford Sport Trac.pdf

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/painting-cladding-and-bumper.405174/

best tip i can give you is to take time in your prep work. it's more important than the actual painting part in my opinion. tape off as best you can, clean up your painting surfaces as best as you can, use tack cloths for a good wipe down and paint in an area with no wind!

also, during the painting phase, use multiple, thin coats. spray a thin coat, wait a few minutes, then another thin coat. eventually it will fill out, and it will look even and smooth. good luck!

thanks again fellas, as always, i must bow down to @MidnightRebel07 and @01STrunner for their supreme tracs! i wish i had the time to keep up with these guys.

i think i did a paint how to on the cladding and bumpers a long time ago, ill see if i can find it for you. @SJEric

Hey if it wasn't for your TT/shackles how to thread I wouldn't have gotten past the painting my cladding black.

Back