Sputter/Stutter and Loss of Power | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sputter/Stutter and Loss of Power

yeah thats the same pump i bought, worked fine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How I removed my tank from a 99 Sport...

When I received my new tank, I took pictures of each step to remove and replace the tank...I have done this so many times i could descibe each step but I didn't have pictures of each step...Now I do...

picture.php

First I raised the rear of the truck with a floor jack and supported it with jack stands...I also used the same floor jack to support the tank...

picture.php

When the tank was supported, I removed the front 2 bolts and the middle gas tank strap...

picture.php

picture.php

Before I lower the tank, I disconnected the fuel filler/vapor lines from the rear of the tank...

picture.php

I lowered the tank about halfway to disconnect the power connector and the fuel/vapor lines...

picture.php

picture.php

With the fuel lines and power connectors diconnected, I lowered the tank to the ground...

picture.php

picture.php

Remove the floor jack and then remove the tank from under the truck...

picture.php

Inserting the fuel sender/pump into the new tank...

picture.php

After installing the pump, reverse the removal to reinstall the tank...

hey Ranger,
Just saw this post. Very helpful! Where'd you get your new tank from? I was looking at the following tank as it was the cheaper I could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

But it doesn't say if it's for 2 door or 4 door... does it matter? I have a 2 door explorer. When looking on Rockauto.com, it listed tanks for each model but on Rockauto it was $220 shipped versus ebay which is $170 shipped

So do you think a new tank and fuel pump should be good? I want to get rid of the rust problem as well

This is where I got my tank from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120517261407

And yes it does matter because the front bracket locates the tank and the 4 door tank is longer and I believe will be too long to fit in the space under the truck...

One thing that I had happen this Saturday...I had noticed my fuel pressure was dropping to 50-60 psi under moderate acceleration during the last week...I have a new spare fuel pump even though I installed a new pump when I installed the new tank back in March...Went to Walmart Sat. morning and came out to go home...20 psi and the truck is going nowhere...

Got it home on a hook and dropped the tank...found the terminals had overheated and charred the terminals and the pump would spin about half speed...Pulled the pump/sender, replaced the pump and strainer, reinstalled the pump and I am back in business...

I am thinking the pump started drawing excess amperage and the pump finally burned up partially...At least I was close to home...And the inside of the tank and the fuel in it was clean, clean, clean...

oh man- so are you saying the ebay pump you bought wasn't any good? When you got her home and replaced the pump again, where'd you get that pump you replaced it with?

and perfect, thanks for the ebay tank link. Just what I needed

This pump lasted for 3 months or so...

But I have used this vendors' pumps in 3 others vehicles including my V8 Ranger for the last 6 years...Looking at the pump I think the pump was having some resistance issues and this problem might have been caused by the wiring from the sender unit...

And the pump I replaced it with was a new one from the same vendor that I had been using for a stand alone fuel supply unit for the last year or so...

And I forgot to mention that the dead pump is under warranty so i will be getting a new one from the vendor...

But I have used this vendors' pumps in 3 others vehicles including my V8 Ranger for the last 6 years...Looking at the pump I think the pump was having some resistance issues and this problem might have been caused by the wiring from the sender unit...

And the pump I replaced it with was a new one from the same vendor that I had been using for a stand alone fuel supply unit for the last year or so...

And I forgot to mention that the dead pump is under warranty so i will be getting a new one from the vendor...

Ranger- Did you end up sending in your old pump under warrenty? Howd the new one work?

Also, did you replace the FPR or Fuel pump Regulator? If so, whered you get it from? Rock auto doesnt have it and I cant find it on ebay for our year truck

updates...

Yes i sent the defective pump back and they wanted to know if the sending unit was damaged...I sent the old sending unit in and they replaced the sending unit with the replacement new pump...

Now since I have a couple of extra sending units I used one that had a good regulator on it and mounted my spare pump to that unit...

The pump/fpr.sending unit have all been working great though...

Yes i sent the defective pump back and they wanted to know if the sending unit was damaged...I sent the old sending unit in and they replaced the sending unit with the replacement new pump...

Now since I have a couple of extra sending units I used one that had a good regulator on it and mounted my spare pump to that unit...

The pump/fpr.sending unit have all been working great though...

Hmm so where did you get this extra sending unit from? Im guessing you need a whole new sending unit and not just a FPR. Where did you buy your extra sending units?

Spare parts...

When I first started playing with Rangers and Explorers I had to use the newer tanks to supply the fuel injected engines that I would use in my V8 conversions...Plus I found it easier to buy the whole tank unit with the tank instead of the tank sending unit by itself...

But I have a couple of Explorer tank sending units with the fpr installed on them so I had a choice of which one to use...It was easier and quicker to mount the new pump on an existing sending unit then drop the tank and install it...

ahh very nice!!

and is that a thrush turbo muffler I see under there :p

i would get misfires on hard exceleration...was starved for fuel because filter was cloooooggged

i would get misfires on hard exceleration...was starved for fuel because filter was cloooooggged

Actually I changed my filter and it made a huge difference. I used to have stall outs, now I dont. Ranger7Ltr pointed out that it could be bad rust in the tank. Since our tanks are metal, it could rust and cause that to get into fuel lines, filters, and injectors. I plan on changing all this once I save up enough coin to get all done at once.

This all sounds like exactly what I've been going through. Did the continual filter change end up working?

Need some help narrowing down the spit and sputtering

I just replaced the coils ,plugs, cam shaft position sensor and it still does it but only when it's under a quarter of a tank now I know I need new o2 sensors I don't have a clue if that is causing the problem or if it's a fuel issue I put a new fuel filter on also after I put injector cleaner in and ran two tanks through before I replaced it I assume that the cleaner kicked up some dirt and the fuel pump filter is dirty but I also put a cold air intake on it the same time I did the plugs and stuff I'm getting fed up with it now and need some good news

same issue, spent a lot on the rig...

i noticed there wasn't a reply or last words on your post! was trying to find what happened to your rig because mine is experiencing like issues. in a tight spot, would appreciate if you had a few minutes to explain what the outcome was... just had a tune up, replaced water pump and 2 thermostats, tranny, iac, no water in the oil but wanted to check with you. i haven't attempted the test you posted a link regarding but i have a buddy working on it. just wanted to know if it was the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump itself that fixed your issue. i would sincerely appreciate your response. thank you

i noticed there wasn't a reply or last words on your post! was trying to find what happened to your rig because mine is experiencing like issues. in a tight spot, would appreciate if you had a few minutes to explain what the outcome was... just had a tune up, replaced water pump and 2 thermostats, tranny, iac, no water in the oil but wanted to check with you. i haven't attempted the test you posted a link regarding but i have a buddy working on it. just wanted to know if it was the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump itself that fixed your issue. i would sincerely appreciate your response. thank you

sorry. just became a member and it unfolded the remainder of the thread

wait... the page changed on me.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281858
this is the post i was regarding. my apologies

So I am looking on Rockauto and they do not list a fuel pressure regulator for a 1999 Ford Explorer SOHC. Does this truck not have a fuel pressure regulator? If not, when I test for fuel pressure and if it fails, what would the problem be? If the truck does have one, where’s it located?
its in the fuel tank and relieves back to the fuel tank as part of the fuel pump assy. you only have one fuel line to the injector rail. the most common fault is the gaskets on the plenum chamber going hard and allowing extra unmetered air into the mix.

Back