• Register Today It's free!

Sputters When Shifted to Park

rynil2000

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys, I've been to the site a few times before, but this is my first time posting.

I'm driving a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 V6, and it has been acting strange lately. When ever you shift into park the truck sputters 3-5 times and sounds like it's going to shut off, but then returns to a steady idle. So far it hasn't cut off, but it sounds really rough.

This only happens when you shift from drive to park. I can do it multiple times while sitting still and it will sputter every time, but recover as before. I tried going from neutral to park and the sputter didn't happen.

Otherwise, the truck runs fine; starts and drives well. I recently replaced the DPFE sensor to clear a "check engine" code. I'm not sure if that would have something to do with this problem. The check engine light has remained off since replacing the sensor.

I have seen a few posts about cleaning/replacing the IAC valve because of similar problems, but I just want to make sure before I go buying parts. I'm not sure if I have the job 1 or job 2 engine model. Is the IAC valve a relatively easy fix?

Any help is appreciated.

:aerostar: <== BTW, I love that this forum has this. I grew up in this van.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The IACV is cake to replace/clean. That might be the solution to your problem. But it could also be the MAF, TPS, dirty injectors, dirty fuel, dirty throttle body, loose or gone vacuum hose, low transmission fluid, among other thing's. Check to see if the TB is dirty, than put some injector cleaner through the system. Post solution when found for further help towards other SE users! :)

Thanks for the info. I took a look at the engine, the oil filler is on the passenger side, plus the build date on the door sticker is 08/01; so now I know it's a job 2.

Since the truck has 220K+ miles on it, I'm just going to go ahead and replace the IAC valve. I'll take a look at those rubber elbows while I'm in there.

On another note: This used to be my dad's truck. It had been running the "bad DPFE sensor" code for at least 4 years before I replaced it. I asked him about a burning oil smell coming from under the hood. He said that he thought there was a leaking gasket around a valve cover. Could this be the source of the issue? I'm sure this isn't something to brush off lightly. Any idea how much a mechanic would charge for this repair? I don't have the tools or the time.

:aerostar:

Well, you guys are good. I replaced the IAC valve this past weekend and the sputtering problems seemed to be solved. It was a really easy replacement. A few times it's dropped the RPMs kinda low when putting it in park, but no where near like it was doing. I'm going to try replacing the PCV valve and that pesky vacuum hose elbow that everyone keeps mentioning, just for good measure.

Back