Squeak when rolling 99 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeak when rolling 99 Sport

dt98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
This is my first post and I'm glad I found this forum! I am currently working on the airbag 37 code and found a lot of information on that problem.

My '99 Sport has 114K. About year and half ago I have a friend that works at a Ford dealership check all major systems because I've decided to keep this for awhile because I really like it.

He put all new upper and lower ball joints, new shocks all around, passenger side drive shaft (I knew the boot had been split for a long time and the joint was going bad) new tires and updated the computer.

Everything has been fine but last Fall I noticed a squeek when going slow and when the windows are down. When I speed up the squeek can't be heard but I know it's there.

When rolling slow it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side and maybe from the rear but sounds can be hard to locate.

I know it is not the brakes. I replace all pads and touching the brakes when going slow does not affect the noise. In addition, the rpm of the motor does not affect the squeek. It also makes no difference whether the transmission is in D or N. It seem to be a squeek with rolling.

Any obvious things I should check first?

I've put the trans in R and then D to see if I could hear a universal joint click but I do not hear anything out of the ordinary. Could this be a wheel bearing (front or rear)?

Help, I know the squeek is a sympton of a problem and it might be getting serious!

Thanks, DT98

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could very well be the bearings. I've got bad passenger side bearings, and they squeak on the move as well. I would bring it to a trusted shop for a quick check.

Hey Jason,
Thanks a lot! I will have the bearings checked right away!

Awesome pics of your truck and the lift kit looks wicked!
Thanks
DT98

Thank man, best of luck with it - hopefully something just needs some silicone spray. Keep us posted.

did jason advice help u out at all and do u got pics of ur 99 sport at all

I chased the same "squeak" for almost a year until the noise was replaced with a snapping noise from the rear which made the squeak sound good.....

I checked the u-joints while looking for the squeak and they were still the original with no grease zerks but were tight. It wasn't until the rear one finally failed that changed the noise when I finally found it.

I also replaced the front one at the same time, although it "looked" good, but when I took it apart, the rollers were dryer than a popcorn fart. Only a matter of time before it failed too. Noise gone after only a year......

Back