Windows "catching" when rolling down? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows "catching" when rolling down?

stocked

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer AWD V8
Not sure what section to put it in, but I've been having a problem with the Driver's Front window sticking and wanting to tilt forward when rolling it down. I've tried plain old grease and it did solve the problem for a while, but it slowly came back. I've also tried a little 30 Weight oil on the track to (big surprise) no help. I'm just wondering if you guys have ever had the same problem and how you may have solved it. I'm thinking that maybe i could use some graphite powder or maybe lithium grease?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem on my first gen. Turned out that one of the plastic mounts (that attach the window to the regulator) had come off the window. Had to glue it back together and it was fine. Check it out

I checked out all of the mounting, and all is still attached and functional. It really seems like a lubrication problem but I'm going to also check the actual frame itself, maybe i can move or bend it in a little to tighten up the glass inside it.

Mine is doing the same thing.

Found it to be the front mount bracket which includes the tracking for the window around the front, top and rear. The rear bracket is a separate piece which is cheaper and easier to find at the Ford dealers. The front one is an obsolete part from Ford on my truck.

What happened was the "felt" material had torn/worn through which caused my window to catch and eventually pop off rack. My rear bracket did the same thing as well which also caused the window to catch but didnt pop off track

I'm not sure if there are any aftermarket suppliers for the front bracket/track???

Hope some of this helps

If you can rock it back and forth when it's half way down, it's a wear, hardware or fastener problem (or combo of the three) you might be able to find something at LMC truck for new tracks.

Back