• Register Today It's free!

Squeaks when Cold

asafley

Reaction score
City, State
Pikes Peak Region, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT - 347 V8
Hi all. I have been reading this forum for awhile now since I got my Explorer and just today I have decided to register since I just can't figure out what my problem is. All in all this place has helped me a lot to troubleshoot and fix a lot of my problems.
Anyways I have a 4.0L SOHC engine and it squeaks pretty bad when the engine is cold and I am starting it up. The squeak gets pretty quiet (But still there) when idling. But it is really noticeable when I give it gas. When the engine gets to its normal operating temperature everything is fine with no squeaks as long as the conditions are met :p: (*cough* except for the engine rattling noice *cough* Will tackle that later just because it isn't as annoying :) ). By conditions, I mean I can't turn on and run the A/C for very long or it can't be raining. The squeaking starts almost immediately when it is raining and I am driving. Although, it does go away about a couple minutes after the rain stops. However the squeaking doesn't go away when the A/C is going. But the squeaking doesn't start till about 5 minutes after the A/C is on.
Now it sounds like it is either P/S or A/C (Leaning those the A/C right now). The alternator, belt, and belt tensioner are brand new so I don't think it is those parts. I don't want to buy anymore expensive parts that might not fix the squeaking sound. Hence, that is why I have a brand new alternator because it was squeaking before the new alternator. Anyone got any answers, theories, ideas, suggestions, or anything? :D Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Idler pulley is a possibility. Usually the tensioner and idler go at the same time. Power steering usually has more of a hum or whine noise when it goes out and the ac would be more of a high pitched chirp.

Replace the idler and see if that fixes the prob. Cheap and easy.

Thanks for the reply. Opps! I forgot to mention that I also replaced the idler. I remember reading on here about the idler and in fact that was the first thing I replaced when the squeak started. Because it was the cheapest solution, which didn't work. Now I call the sound more of a squeak than a high pitched chirp. It is definitely not a whining noise. I can perhaps record the sound and go from there if that would be any help.

A recording would be helpful.

Have you removed the belt and started the truck to make sure it is serpentine related?

I've got that some motor and problem, just use belt conditioner, NOT wd-40.

Back