Squeaky Front suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky Front suspension

pclark1970

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Ltd
Every time i go over a speed bump, no matter how slowly or carefully, both sides front susupension are very sqeaky, doesn't feel solid or smooth at all.
Any one else experienced this, got an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a rubbery squeak, or a metal squeak?

My experience has been for a new car, with any kind of squeak, there is something loose, somewhere.

I would ask the dealer that you go on the road test with the mechanic so you can make sure he hears what you do.

Good luck.

Let us know what the problem was !

Its hard to describe, maybe noise from the shocks or springs. Just wondered how other new explorers sound when they go over speed bumps.
My 2008 Honda Pilot never made any noise,
On Tuesday i will get the dealer to check it out.

Every time i go over a speed bump, no matter how slowly or carefully, both sides front susupension are very sqeaky, doesn't feel solid or smooth at all.
Any one else experienced this, got an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday.
Thanks
Welcome to the Explorer Forum pclark1970.:wavey:
I believe this has particular issue has been raised before but I don't recall the outcome.

Peter

pclark70

Can you let us know what the dealer has to say? Mine also makes noise when going over speed bumps but mostly from just the passenger side. Sounds like a squeeky strut. Ex only has 6,000 miles but has been doing this since new. Was waiting until I had other issues before bringing to dealer. Thanks

Welcome to the Explorer Forum pclark1970.:wavey:
I believe this has particular issue has been raised before but I don't recall the outcome.

Peter

Wasn't it something about a bad weld on two parts behind the bumper that allowed them to move and rub together? Used some sort of crimp to lock them in place and it was fixed as I remember.

I think another person did have a defective strut or something.

Been at the dealer for 4 days now, Thursday they told me all was done apart from the front suspension issue
MFT update
A Pillar noise
Transmission Bump
Should be getting it back tommorrow.

We took ours in for all those issues above^ but got the car back and they were all still there smh....... Honestly, why cant they get it right the first time, let alone tell you everything has been fixed but nothing comes back that way? I love the car....a joy to drive, but every a-pillar rattle i hear and every squeak over speed bumps make me jump in my seat! I dont have ADD or ADHD or whatever, but these little things might just give me that! This expensive of a car should not get such poor service!

Got it back today.
MFT update looks good
Transmission TSB carried out, will have to wait and see if the bump happens again
A Pillar- Whistling and vibration gone, took it up to 85mph on the way home no noise
Squeaky suspension-suspension lubrication carried out, and all is quiet no more squeaks.

so far so good!!

Glad you got it back in good shape. Sometimes you wonder..."why me"..." but it sounds like you got an Ex worth hanging onto for a long time of fun driving !!:D

pclark1970-

Did the dealer indicate what suspension parts needed to be lubricated. The squeak that I have is essentially only prevalent when going over the gutter/curb to get into my driveway with both wheels making simultaneous contact with the curb. (i.e. straight one...not turning in)

If this is something I can do to fix it then it's better than my driving all the way to the dealer. I've already been there enough.

Thanks!

My dealer did the loose thing under the bumper fix and nothing was cured. Still sounds like old creaky boat when going over speed bumps at low speed. What exactly was lubricated? I'll ask my dealer to do the same next time. Been waiting 3 weeks now for A pillar parts to come in.

Any more updates to this issue?

Back at the dealer again today for the suspension noise again
went away for a while after the lubrication but does not sound or feel good anymore when going over speed bumps
Dealer told me they need 3 days!!!! for the service. I asked them why they needed 3 days and the guy ran off to ask for help.
When he came back he showed me all the work, eng oil, air filter, fuel filter and transmission oil change. Of course i asked why it took 3 days to complete this, they have no answer except to show me the price of $380.

well lets hope the suspension is smooth or im taking it back for some parts to be changed this time

went away for a while after the lubrication but does not sound or feel good anymore when going over speed bumps
Dealer told me they need 3 days!!!! for the service. I asked them why they needed 3 days and the guy ran off to ask for help.
When he came back he showed me all the work, eng oil, air filter, fuel filter and transmission oil change. Of course i asked why it took 3 days to complete this, they have no answer except to show me the price of $380.

well lets hope the suspension is smooth or im taking it back for some parts to be changed this time
If you are taking it in for the suspension noise why on earth are they changing the oil and filters? Makes absolutely no sense unless you requested an oil change. BTW, Ford's schedule for changing the transmission fluid is 150,000 miles or 240,000 kms.

Peter

Have the squeak as well. Told the dealer last time it was in and they said it they couldn't hear it but it might be the air inlet scoop thing behind the air dam, it wasn't mounted right so they ordered a new one and replaced it. Didn't make any sense to me but whatever let them try. Anyway surprise surprise noise is still there. Haven't brought it back yet.

Hey pclark1970,

Keep me posted on how things go at the dealership. If you need any assistance, you know where to find me.

Have the squeak as well. Told the dealer last time it was in and they said it they couldn't hear it but it might be the air inlet scoop thing behind the air dam, it wasn't mounted right so they ordered a new one and replaced it. Didn't make any sense to me but whatever let them try. Anyway surprise surprise noise is still there. Haven't brought it back yet.

Hi olaverty,

The next time you make an appointment at your dealership, you can always ask the service tech to come along with you for a test drive so you can demonstrate the noise. Keep me in the loop!

Crystal

I have the squeak too and the dealer couldn't hear it. Am trading it in for a new sport so I'm not pushing with the dealer

Taking the car in tomorrow for the squeak of doom. Any solutions I can provide to the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Taking the car in tomorrow for the squeak of doom. Any solutions I can provide to the dealer?

Mine has been into service 4 times for this.

1st time: They checked and found loose oil pan cover. Tightened and given back to me. Did not cure the problem.

2nd time: Found dry front sway bar bushings. Removed and lubricated. Did not cure the problem.

3rd time: Deemed normal vehicle operation.

4th time: I'll see. It is in the shop again for this issue and transmission and exhaust TSB.

So, don't have them do any of what they did for me. It didn't work.

Back