Squeaky wheel bearing - too loose or too tight? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky wheel bearing - too loose or too tight?

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Title pretty much says it...driver's side bearing squeaks when cornering hard to the right. I just replaced both the inner and outer bearings on both sides, I used plenty of grease, but didn't have a torque wrench when tightening the bearings down. I just lightly seated the nut, pretty much just as tight as needed to take out any play in the wheel.

Thanks all...2000 Sport, 2WD. 138k miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you "pack" the bearings?

Wheel bearings normally don't squeak in vehicles. Check your brakes.

Yeah I packed them full of grease.

Would brakes squeak only when cornering? I used that "disc brake quiet" and they are good Wagner pads and Raybestos rotors.

Maybe after driving there's more play in the wheel. If the wheel isn't dragging it probably isn't too tight. Could be something else, though. - after all, it's an Explorer, that's why you're here. Mine is 4wd so I'm at a loss but if it's the standard spindle, bearings, and crown nut/cotter pin, I'd guess too loose or something else. Brakes do squeek or squeal, bearings tend to howl, growl, or grind. Turning hard right puts pressure on the drivers side. Did you use a bearing packer or pack them by hand?

You should probably borrow a torque wrench and get them torqued to specs regardless. It could save you replacing them again down the road and would rule that out.

Is there a wheel bearing torque spec? With the old crown nut and cotter pin, you takes what you can get.

Back