• Register Today It's free!

Squeal from timing cover area

wr250xguy

Reaction score
City, State
Graham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT V6
Good evening all. I have a 2014 N/A V6 explorer that I just completed a water pump/timing set on. After maybe 300 miles of driving I have 2 issues. I have a p0340 and p0344 and also have a terrible squeal when the engine is warm. It does not squeal on cold startup. I have replaced the belt tensioner and have also ran with out the belt for testing and the squeal is still there. I used a gates water pump. Other work performed was a cloyes timing set and dorman cam phasers. For the cam codes, I have replaced the sensor and also the connector plug on the harness. Also, i have double checked timing and everything is still lined up. Could these issues be interrelated or...... Attached is a short video on the noise in question.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good evening all. I have a 2014 N/A V6 explorer that I just completed a water pump/timing set on. After maybe 300 miles of driving I have 2 issues. I have a p0340 and p0344 and also have a terrible squeal when the engine is warm. It does not squeal on cold startup. I have replaced the belt tensioner and have also ran with out the belt for testing and the squeal is still there. I used a gates water pump. Other work performed was a cloyes timing set and dorman cam phasers. For the cam codes, I have replaced the sensor and also the connector plug on the harness. Also, i have double checked timing and everything is still lined up. Could these issues be interrelated or...... Attached is a short video on the noise in question.
for some reason i cant play your video it just comes up with a play button with a slash thru it. is it just me? just checking. is the cam sensor OE? put in the right orientation?

for some reason i cant play your video it just comes up with a play button with a slash thru it. is it just me? just checking. is the cam sensor OE? put in the right orientation?
Yes, Motorcraft cam sensor. They only fit one way, as far as I can see. I'll see if I can PM you the video.

Yes, Motorcraft cam sensor. They only fit one way, as far as I can see. I'll see if I can PM you the video.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I also am not able to play the attachment.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I also am not able to play the attachment.

Peter
Thank you for the feedback regarding the attachment. I have put a link in the post. Please let me know if you still have issues.

John

This what I got John. Perhaps Fix4Dirt could try it.

1672162785562.png

Peter

Maybe I've got it right this time

Attachments

• 20221215_154547.mp4
    5.8 MB

Yup, you got it. Off hand, I'd say that it sounds like a noisy bearing.

Peter

Yup, you got it. Off hand, I'd say that it sounds like a noisy bearing.

Peter
I agree. Just trying to pin point it. I don't just like to assume parts are bad out of the box, but I'm guessing it's the new water pump.

Well so far so good as far as the squeal goes. But it took a couple hundred miles for it to start last time. Still have the P0340 and P0344 codes. Any one got some insight on those?

Well, after much frustration and performing the timing job again with motorcraft parts it has now made it to the local shop. I'll post the result after I hear back. I appreciate the help everyone has provided.

Ok. Well to give everyone that's been following and update. It is fixed. Turns out the new water pump had failed and the bearings were squealing. As far as the camshaft codes, the reluctor ring on the end of the cam shaft had moved and a new camshaft was installed. After several months it is now running again without issues. As a PSA don't try and bar the engine over with a towel draped over the engine. That's what caused this whole issue for me.

Back