Squealing/Squeaking Noise From Tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing/Squeaking Noise From Tranny

Mamba42

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
Hello All,

I am having an odd sound come from my transmission. The sound is sort of a squealing/squeaking when in drive and at a stop. When I accelerate, it the squeaking speeds up but only for a second and then it goes away.

I was having some issues with my Ex almost stalling when coming to stop lights, but after a long time to figure out what it was, it ended up being that my PCM needed to be updated, as it was doing all sorts of weird things. So, now this problem has come within 24 hours of getting my PCM flashed, but the noise was not there before.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I will probably take it back to the dealership tomorrow since they flashed it and it should have some sort of warranty now that this problem has come only after they flashed it. But, if anyone has a suggestion about what it could be, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jared

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I took it to the dealer again and they thought it could be that the valve body is going bad. They wanted to check the transmission fluid level, and they said it was a little low so they filled it hoping that would fix the issue. It didn't (I don't know how low it was really. When I last checked the level it was fine).

Any thoughts on the squeaking noise as it pertains to a need to replace the valve body in the transmission?

It's still not throwing any codes. When I monitor the sensors, though, I do get some weird stuff going on with two of the O2 sensors. They both have their voltages going from ~.135 to ~.835. They are constantly going up and down, while the other O2 sensors are hold stable at ~.835.

Could the O2 sensors being bad make the transmission squeak?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jared

I can't think of a reason why the O2 sensors would cause the transmission to squeak.

Hello All,

I am having an odd sound come from my transmission. The sound is sort of a squealing/squeaking when in drive and at a stop. When I accelerate, it the squeaking speeds up but only for a second and then it goes away.

I was having some issues with my Ex almost stalling when coming to stop lights, but after a long time to figure out what it was, it ended up being that my PCM needed to be updated, as it was doing all sorts of weird things. So, now this problem has come within 24 hours of getting my PCM flashed, but the noise was not there before.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? I will probably take it back to the dealership tomorrow since they flashed it and it should have some sort of warranty now that this problem has come only after they flashed it. But, if anyone has a suggestion about what it could be, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jared

The noise during acceleration and then goes quiet and engine wanting to stall are both indications of a converter that is failing.

I wouldn't think the reflash had anything to do with it, there was a problem before and now its getting worse.

The noise during acceleration and then goes quiet and engine wanting to stall are both indications of a converter that is failing.

I wouldn't think the reflash had anything to do with it, there was a problem before and now its getting worse.

Have to agree! Shop manual outlines testing which can be done of the converter when removed from the transmission, one-way clutch, etc., but not the lock-up clutch.

Anyway, if one goes to the time and effort to pull out the converter, replace the G.D.'d thing on general principle, is my motto. imp

Hey guys,

Sorry for the lack of a reply, got busy with other stuff lately. To be sure, though, the Ex stopped acting like it wants to stall at stops now since I had the PCM flashed. Now, the only issue is the odd squealing/moaning sound coming from the transmission.

I connected my scanner again and ran an emissions-readiness test and it appears I may have an issue with my Evap system. There is no code, but something with the Evap system is awry. Any chance the sound could be from an Evap leak somewhere rather than a tranny? I haven't definitively pinpointed the sound to the transmission, it just seems that that is where the sound is coming from, so it could be from something else.

The lack of a code here really doesn't help things out, and maybe I just need to drive it until the CEL does come on.

What do you guys think? Any traction with the sound possibly being an Evap issue?

Thanks for your help guys, it is invaluable!

Jared

I think I'm probably just grasping for straws hoping it'll be something less severe than a valve body replacement. But, I just took it for a spin (needed to go to grocery store, so why not?) and it was surging between 2-3 and a slow shift from 1-2. Seems like prototypical problem signs of a bad valve body.

Jared

Back