• Register Today It's free!

SSI Tuned 2020 Explorer with 2.3L

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Well, I went with SSI again for my tune on my 2020 XLT and I am again impressed.
I used Shawn for my old 14 Explorer 3.5NA and was happy.
Ordered a 91 octane performance tune and the power feels incredible. The tune also seemed to have help some weird transmission shifting I had since getting the car. The most noticeable increase is right off the line, huge difference!
Highly recommend and I was able to re-use the same BDX 40490 device that I used for my 14 Explorer, just had to buy a new custom tune for only $75.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I went with SSI again for my tune on my 2020 XLT and I am again impressed.
I used Shawn for my old 14 Explorer 3.5NA and was happy.
Ordered a 91 octane performance tune and the power feels incredible. The tune also seemed to have help some weird transmission shifting I had since getting the car. The most noticeable increase is right off the line, huge difference!
Highly recommend and I was able to re-use the same BDX 40490 device that I used for my 14 Explorer, just had to buy a new custom tune for only $75.
Sounds good.

How aggressive is the tune in regards to pushing the motor? I know the crank is forged but I do not think the rods or anything else is.

What I did notice in lookign around is that the new mustangs with the 2.3 are making 310hp/350 trq at the same rpm's that the explorer is make 300hp/310 trq.

I'm wondering if they are basing their explorer tune around the 2.3 Mustang factory tune since that is a heck of a torque increase.

Sounds good.

How aggressive is the tune in regards to pushing the motor? I know the crank is forged but I do not think the rods or anything else is.

What I did notice in lookign around is that the new mustangs with the 2.3 are making 310hp/350 trq at the same rpm's that the explorer is make 300hp/310 trq.

I'm wondering if they are basing their explorer tune around the 2.3 Mustang factory tune since that is a heck of a torque increase.
I asked for a performance and a street 91 tune. The performance is awesome and pushes it pretty good and I had to get my plugs re-gapped to .026, but its less than an hr of labor. The street 91 is a performance increase but meant to be daily driven, so probably 30-35hp and 40ftlb tq. I just emailed him and asked him if I can get a special tune to try and get close to my buddy in a ram 1500 with the 5.7l hemi and he said he’s working on it. Shawn will tailor the tune to what you want

Why target the Hemi?
5.7L Hemi = 395 HP, 410 Torque
3,0L ST = 400 HP, 415 Torque

Peter

Why target the Hemi?
5.7L Hemi = 395 HP, 410 Torque
3,0L ST = 400 HP, 415 Torque

Peter
So I don’t have to spend $20k to get an ST because Ford didn’t want to add the 3.0 as an engine only option. On top of that, my friend has equipment in his truck that adds weight. Not trying to race it as I know I’ll lose, I want to get close to it as he thinks 4 bangers are stupid

Back