2020 Explorer 2.3 high pressure fuel pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wreckedat

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
Hey guys and gals,

This is my first post here so let me introduce myself. My name is Weston and I live in Las Vegas. I recently purchased a 2020 Explorer XLT and almost immediately started to modify the car with what was out there (which wasn’t much). I started off with the snow performance boost cooler methanol kit and then quickly purchased the k&n cai. I then wanted more power so I got in contact with Torrie at unleashed tuning. He sent me over a 91 performance tune as well as an e30 tune. The e30 tune was quite impressive. The reason for this post is I have a couple questions. A couple weeks ago I went out to check my oil (which I do quite regularly) and to my astonishment I found that not only was the oil level high, but it also had a strong smell of fuel. I did some research and found that it could either be a leaking injector or a faulty hpfp. Since I have caught the performance bug I ordered the hpfp from xdi and have been waiting about 4 months. The other day I decided to email them to see what the holdup was. They promptly messaged me back saying that they needed me to send them pictures of the numbers on the back of the stock fuel pump. I tried everything I could to get those pictures to them but to no avail. My question was does anyone have the stock pump laying around to take some pics of the numbers on the back side. That pump is stuffed so far back in there it is impossible to get a good readable picture. They need the pictures in order to verify they are sending the right pump. I really don’t want to take the pump off just to take pictures. Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Weston. :wave:
Everything I have seen and read says the fuel pump is on top of the fuel tank. You would have to drop the tank in order to get to the pump.

Peter

Everything I have seen and read says the fuel pump is on top of the fuel tank. You would have to drop the tank in order to get to the pump.

Peter

Peter
Hey guys and gals,

This is my first post here so let me introduce myself. My name is Weston and I live in Las Vegas. I recently purchased a 2020 Explorer XLT and almost immediately started to modify the car with what was out there (which wasn’t much). I started off with the snow performance boost cooler methanol kit and then quickly purchased the k&n cai. I then wanted more power so I got in contact with Torrie at unleashed tuning. He sent me over a 91 performance tune as well as an e30 tune. The e30 tune was quite impressive. The reason for this post is I have a couple questions. A couple weeks ago I went out to check my oil (which I do quite regularly) and to my astonishment I found that not only was the oil level high, but it also had a strong smell of fuel. I did some research and found that it could either be a leaking injector or a faulty hpfp. Since I have caught the performance bug I ordered the hpfp from xdi and have been waiting about 4 months. The other day I decided to email them to see what the holdup was. They promptly messaged me back saying that they needed me to send them pictures of the numbers on the back of the stock fuel pump. I tried everything I could to get those pictures to them but to no avail. My question was does anyone have the stock pump laying around to take some pics of the numbers on the back side. That pump is stuffed so far back in there it is impossible to get a good readable picture. They need the pictures in order to verify they are sending the right pump. I really don’t want to take the pump off just to take pictures. Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.
While the smell of fuel in your oil is concerning , had you checked your oil level prior to that? I have a 2.3 also. When new the oil level was perfect. I brought the car in for the first oil change and upon checking the level, it was a quart over. Seems the Ford "tech" put 6 quarts in as that is what Ford normally requires. My 2.3 2021 requires 5.2 with the filter. I dropped the extra oil and at the 10K change I made sure that they filled to the correct level. I do not detect a smell of fuel but dealership may have over filled. I'd also make certain that the 2020 also recomend 5.2 as I understand it was a change over at some point, not sure when. Good luck in any case and I am very interested in your performance upgrades. There is not a lot out there on the 2.3.

Peter
Thank you. The one that is in the tank is the low pressure pump that feeds the high pressure cam driven pump located on the top of the motor all the way in the back. I need the numbers for the mechanical pump.

While the smell of fuel in your oil is concerning , had you checked your oil level prior to that? I have a 2.3 also. When new the oil level was perfect. I brought the car in for the first oil change and upon checking the level, it was a quart over. Seems the Ford "tech" put 6 quarts in as that is what Ford normally requires. My 2.3 2021 requires 5.2 with the filter. I dropped the extra oil and at the 10K change I made sure that they filled to the correct level. I do not detect a smell of fuel but dealership may have over filled. I'd also make certain that the 2020 also recomend 5.2 as I understand it was a change over at some point, not sure when. Good luck in any case and I am very interested in your performance upgrades. There is not a lot out there on the 2.3.
It kind of sucks that all performance for this year and motor is like uncharted territory. One cool thing I found with this year is that the kompact dual port bov from Turbosmart for the 2020 mustang 2.3 will fit our explorers with the 2.3. The only thing you will need to change is the hardware. It comes with fine thread bolts and what I had is course thread that goes into plastic. I just sourced some hardware and now I’m good to go. It works great

As to the oil situation. I always check the oil whenever I get the oil changed due to a problem I once had with a tech not putting oil in the engine. You could imagine the outcome of that. When I checked the level it was good. Fast forward a couple weeks and now the level is high so I definitely think fuel is getting in the oil from somewhere. It sucks because there is not a whole lot of information on things like this.

Thank you. The one that is in the tank is the low pressure pump that feeds the high pressure cam driven pump located on the top of the motor all the way in the back. I need the numbers for the mechanical pump.
Okay, thank you Weston. I was wondering about the item I saw on the parts site that mentioned "mechanical".

Peter

Okay, thank you Weston. I was wondering about the item I saw on the parts site that mentioned "mechanical".

Peter
No problem. I found it kind of confusing because when you look at fueling parts for the ST on fords site it calls the hpfp an injection pump but then you look under the xlt parts list and it calls it a fuel pump. Kind of weird

It kind of sucks that all performance for this year and motor is like uncharted territory. One cool thing I found with this year is that the kompact dual port bov from Turbosmart for the 2020 mustang 2.3 will fit our explorers with the 2.3. The only thing you will need to change is the hardware. It comes with fine thread bolts and what I had is course thread that goes into plastic. I just sourced some hardware and now I’m good to go. It works great

As to the oil situation. I always check the oil whenever I get the oil changed due to a problem I once had with a tech not putting oil in the engine. You could imagine the outcome of that. When I checked the level it was good. Fast forward a couple weeks and now the level is high so I definitely think fuel is getting in the oil from somewhere. It sucks because there is not a whole lot of information on things like this.
interesting on the bov. I always figured the Mustang and Ranger mods would work with some slight changes. Borla makes an exhaust system also. Good luck with the fuel pump and fuel in oil situation.

Back