• Register Today It's free!

Stabilizer Bar Bushings question?

jose22

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS 4.0 OHV
I have the famous front end squeak like many others here on the forums and after changing the ball joints, it didn't help, so now I'm thinking about the Stabilizer Bar Bushings, based on what I have seen in other posts about stopping the squeak sound.

So my question is:
Do I need to change the whole stabilizer bar and Stabilizer Bar Links or just the bushings,to get the sound to go away? (assuming that in fact that is the part with the problem)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy enough job to replace the end links and the frame bushings. I just did it and it made a heck of a difference in the ride of the vehicle. ( I did not have a squeek as much as a banging due to the endlinks being worn and one side was even broken. ) If the sway bar is decent, there should be no reason to replace that. Clean it up and reassemble = good to go.

think I have the banging too so I will change the end links and the bushings thank you moels.

I had to replace mine after they snapped while I was off-roading. It's incrediblly easy to do (if they haven't snapped off like mine did) using the how-to at the top of this page. Hell, I didn't even replace the actual bushings on my sway bar, just greased em up.

Hell, I didn't even replace the actual bushings on my sway bar, just greased em up.

it crossed my mind too, but after all, the bushings are cheap so Im going to buy a pair and see if that solves my problem.

Also does anybody know the Sway Bar Diameter to buy the correct bushings?
I have a 99 Ex xls ohv.

sway bar

After the bar broke, did you notice a big change in road worthiness?

I'm considering removing my rear bar altogether... but i dont want to end up :roll:

I think my Stabilizer Bar is in good condition, the problem is just my bushings and endlinks, so I dont know about that.

I'm considering removing my rear bar altogether... but i dont want to end up:roll:

Somebody with more experience can answer that.

I can tell you that with one endlink broken and the other one worn, my ex rode like it had no shocks. I did the sway bar bushings and endlinks before I replaced the shocks and it rides great. I will be replacing the shocks this weekend because I bought them, but securing the sway bar made one heck of a difference.

I'm considering removing my rear bar altogether... but i dont want to end up :roll:

Well on mine it was just the driver's side end bolt that attaches to the A arm that broke off. I cornered doing about 70mph and the truck didn't roll, but I did hear a lot of clunking.

Back