Rear Stabilizer Bar Bushings

Lee S.

Reaction score
City, State
Northport, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Hi Folks:

I'm realitively new here but I've already found some real helpful info which I used to do some of my own repairs. Not sure whether I'm in the right forum.......I have a stock 98 4dr 4x4 XLT SOHC with 55K miles used entirely on the street with some questions about the rear stabilizer bar bushings.

I just put in new shocks and noticed that one of my rear stabilizer bushings looks shot. I have heard an intermitent squeak coming from the rear so this may be the cause. Has anyone replaced these? If so where is the best place to buy them? Also, is there any problem getting the old bushings out (and the new bushings in) once the stabilizer bar (and links if necessary) are removed? I did a search and didn't come up with much at least in regard to the rear.....Are stabilizer bars and sway bars the same thing?

Looks like a pretty easy repair but I just wanted to do my homework before attempting it.

Any help or comments is appreciated.

Thanks
Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sway bar is what stabilizes the rear of the truck. The bushings are relatively easy to change out. To change out the bushings that attach the axle, simply take the sway bar off and replace em. Same with the link bushings. I run polyurethane bushings fron Energy Suspension and they are great for handling. They might have them in stock at your auto parts store, or you could order them online.

Thanks for your reply. Does that mean that stabilizer bars and sway bars are the same thing?

I checked out energy suspension's web site and unless I screwed up, it doesn't appear that they sell a rear stabilizer bushing kit for my 98 4WD.

Lee

Yes, they are the same.

While youare at it,if you want your truck to handle great, replace the sway bar with the one from Explorer Express.

Thanks Al;

I assume you have the EE rear sway bar since you're recommending it.

As mentioned my ex is stock. I did just put in new Monroe shocks (sensatrack load levelers in the rear and reflexes in the front). You seem to have a lot of mods so I'm wondering if the improvement in handling with the EE sway bar would be as pronounced for me. If you think it will improve my handling I'll definately look into it. Now is the time for me to upgrade since I have to remove the old sway bar anyway.

Lee

As far as handeling goes, the addition of the read RR bar will be the best single mod you can do.

I consider it a "must" add on.

Good luck.....

Al:

Since you put it that way I'll definately look into it......It doesn't seem like that much of an expense for improved handling. And at least I'll be able to say I have one mod.

Lee

I will second the idea about getting the EE sway bar. I added that bar along with poly bushings and felt a tremendous difference in the rear handling. I highly recommend the swap too.
The poly bushings were not too bad to change out. It took a little messaging on the stock rubber bushings to get them out, but still not too hard...and well worth the effort.
Just remember that the ride will be a little firmer, but you will lose a lot of the slop and wandering the rear used to do.
Do a search for the EE rear sway bar and you will find a lot of good testimonials!
Ken

Back