• Register Today It's free!

Staggered tires on 01 Sport????

JakeRoyer00

Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 explorer sport 4x4 and I recently got a flat tire. I had other tires but they weren't the same size. Rn I have 255/70/16s on my front and 265/75/16s. I've been running it in 2wd but I was wondering if I'd be okay to put it in 4wd occasionally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any 4x4 HAS to have all four tires exactly the same physical dimensions, now this does not mean they have to be the same "size" ( know, confusing hugh)!
You can have two different size tires as long as the total diameter of the tire is exactly the same.

Any 4x4 HAS to have all four tires exactly the same physical dimensions, now this does not mean they have to be the same "size" ( know, confusing hugh)!
You can have two different size tires as long as the total diameter of the tire is exactly the same.
I get what you're saying. Like if I have a brand new 255 and a warn 265 they'd be around the same diameter so they'd work. Right?

It's certainly possible to have some crossover between a new and worn tire. You can also check them mathematically if you're just comparing sizes online, or with a tape measure against two properly inflated tires of different sizes.

The two sizes you listed are an inch and a half apart in diameter. I wouldn't even consider engaging 4wd with that much discrepancy unless I was well and truly stuck and in very low traction conditions.

I get what you're saying. Like if I have a brand new 255 and a warn 265 they'd be around the same diameter so they'd work. Right?

Theoretically it could work, however in the real world we have to consider that just because the overall diameter of two different size tires may work on a 4x4 F and R, we must take into account for tire side wall flex when the vehicle weight is put on the tire, a lower profile tire is going to have less sidewall flex than a taller one, so even so the overall height dimension is the same, when the weight is put down on the tire, the distance from the center of the axle to the point of contact on the surface may be different, different enough to cause binding in 4x4 without a differential between the F and R axles.
In other words, use the K.I.S.S. method: Keep It Simple Stupid! Always use the same size tires front and rear in a 4x4!

Be warned that your Sport might make weird sounds using different sizes, brands, tread, and tread depths. Transfer case failure is also a possibility...?

I have a 2001 explorer sport 4x4 and I recently got a flat tire. I had other tires but they weren't the same size. Rn I have 255/70/16s on my front and 265/75/16s. I've been running it in 2wd but I was wondering if I'd be okay to put it in 4wd occasionally.
A 255/70/16 tire is 30” in diameter. A 265/75/16 tire is almost 32” in diameter.

I would not recommend running 4WD with that much of a difference in diameter.

Back