Starter issue

Mikealine71

Reaction score
City, State
Somerset Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 mountaineer 5.0 v8
Hi everyone
I had a no crank no start only to find my starter was the issue. After removing it the wire from starter to solenoid was falling apart.i removed cap and it looks good if I just had some length left to reattach it. I believe it's called brushing? I looked to replace just the brushing but they don't come for my starter when I look online at AutoZone etc.is there a way I can rig it up properly? I really don't want to dish out$159 for a new starter. I have a 99 mountaineer 5.0 v8
Thanks

Hi everyone
I had a no crank no start only to find my starter was the issue. After removing it the wire from starter to solenoid was falling apart.i removed cap and it looks good if I just had some length left to reattach it. I believe it's called brushing? I looked to replace just the brushing but they don't come for my starter when I look online at AutoZone etc.is there a way I can rig it up properly? I really don't want to dish out$159 for a new starter. I have a 99 mountaineer 5.0 v8
Thanks
@Mikealine71

If you are referring to the heavy electrical conductor connecting the cable terminal outside the starter solenoid to the contacts inside, I do not recall seeing one as replaceable, at least not easily. I think I've seen them electrically welded-on. However, it should be possible to replace the solenoid, which would come with the heavy wire attached.

IMO, $159 for a BRAND NEW starter is deuce-reasonable, if it is not Chinese crap. If rebuilt CC, so much the worse. Odds are good that solenoid replacement only will mean near-future trouble as the starter motor "guts" are certain to be well-worn. imp

Have you thought of DIY on the starter rebuild? Here's a link
just in case one is not here. The hard part is R+R the thing.

@Mikealine71

I'm imagining that you're posting from your phone, perhaps even from below your Mountaineer, as I'm having a hard time understanding what exactly the problem is with your starter motor :)

I've read your post about 5 times, and I think one of the problems you're describing is that the spring loaded carbon brushes that contact that stator coil have been worn down to nothing and they need replacement. If that is the case, an auto electrical shop that rebuilds starters and alternators could help you . But, in the 21st century, they are few and far between - mostly in industrial areas within "big" cities.

With that said, the other alternative I'd suggest is buying a NEW one (as opposed to rebuilt). ; BOSCH used to offer a line of NEW starter motors with a lifetime warranty - I have one - but they've discontinued the line a few years ago and it's strictly what is left on a dealers shelf.

So, in Bosch's' absence, TYC is one of my go to brands I've had great service with. I have a new TYC fuel pump in my Explorer.

Rock Auto now offers & sells the entire line of TYC parts.

FYI: TYC is a Tier 1 OEM Supplier for Navistar, Daimler, Ford, Suzuki, Jaguar and Harley-Davidson, Ducati, Toyota, and are now branching out into the aftermarket.

Rock Auto has partnered up with them, and selling TYC parts to retail customers.

Rock Auto has a NEW TYC Starter for your '99 Mountaineer 5.0 = Part # TYC 103274 for $51.79

Link: 1999 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 5.0L V8 Starter Motor | RockAuto

Here's a 5% off discount code from Rock Auto
5% Discount Code: ACE4B6982A855D
Expires: April 17, 2020
Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear About Us’ box to receive the discount.
Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other...

Whatever repair route you take, good luck and let us know how you make out -

Back