• Register Today It's free!

Starter Problems

rikguy

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
96 XLT 124,000 miles.Turned the key last night and nothing happened. Well not, nothing. The starter sounds like it spins but, doesn't try to turn over the motor. Is the starter shot, or could it be something else. I tried to pull the starter to have it tested but, I can't figure out how to get to the power calbe to disconnect it. Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced the starter yesterday and still doesn't start. I had the old started tested and it spins but, the bendix sounds like it's grinding and is very loose to the point where it rattled if you shake it. The new one sounds like it spins but, doesn't catch anything at the flywheel.

Its possible you're missing some of the starter teeth on the flywheel. When you had the starter out, did you confirm that there were still teeth on the flywheel for the starter to grab? They should be readily visible as you install the starter.

The shop just called and said that the flywheel is cracked in the center!

Ahhh, that would certainly do it. Do you have the 5-Speed or an AT? I know I've heard of the flywheel cracking on the 5-Speeds, but don't think I've ever heard of it on an AT, at least not as a common occurance.

It's an auto. I'm taking it to the guy that rebuilt the tranny this pasat year. He's never heard of one breaking.

Back