• Register Today It's free!

Starter problems

suttles1972

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
2 days ago, my explorer decided to malfunction by not wanting to start. Initially, the problems pointed at the starter. But after a replacement was installed, the problem persist (giving the clicking sound to the relay solenoid on the fender well and the solenoid on the starter). My next stop was the battery. It was tested under a load, to see if the battery had lost it's edge on the it's power. 3 different test were made on the battery and all past with flying colors. So now I'm concern. Both solenoids are powering up, but not enough power to get the starter to engage. What am I missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dirty terminal connection(s) at the battery?

You didn't mention whether or not you checked, but that would be one of the first things I'd look at.

They've gotten really dirty on mine, and I've had very similar starting problems.

You might check to see if the battery cables themselves are corroded

The solenoid might be clicking, but not working right...try jumping the terminals the next time it clicks...

Re: Problem solved

It turned out to be my postive wire on the battery post. The post itself had corroded internally. A inch of the postive wire was cut and a new post was installed and I received fire to start the engine. Thanks to all for your replies. You all made me realize that problem was in the direction of the wire itself. Thanks

Back