starter runon problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starter runon problem

ol_ben

Reaction score
Hi all,

My '92 sport (w/manual transmission) has developed a 'stuck starter problem'.

When turning the key to start, the starter keeps running even with the key turned off and removed. the only way to stop the starter from running is to remove a battery cable (negative).

I have tested the solenoid by removing the starter cable from the solenoid post, attaching a meter between that post and the neg battery post. When turning the key to start, 12 volts is read. when releasing the key to the 'run' position, the solenoid connection is dropped. It appears to work properly.

This problem has been slowly coming on for the last few months with a slight delay in starter stopping. It seems to be worse when the engine is cold.

When the starter is running on, there is 12 volts at the starter wire post on the solenoid. I tried removing the key switch trigger wire(red push on) from the solenoid while the runon is occuring, this did not stop the runon.

Could this be a starter problem with some kind of internal short? Or wiring problem? I am afraid I will destroy the starter or battery of flywheel If i don,t get this solved.

Any and all suggestions apreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Which solenoid did you test? There's two for the starter, one on the fender near the battery, the other on the starter itself. Either can go bad. If the one you tested is good, sounds like the other one is the culprit.

I checked the one on the fender by the battery. I will get under the car tomorrow to check the one on the starter.

-Ben

Fixed.

I bought and installed a rebuilt starter. It appears the problem is solved.

-Ben

Back