Starter Solenoid "S" terminal getting 3 volts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starter Solenoid "S" terminal getting 3 volts

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Ok guys as some of you saw my starter solenoid failed recently in my 96. To make a long story short when I pull the "S" terminal wire off my solenoid and test voltage to it with the key out of the ignition, I'm seeing 3 volts. Is this normal or could this have been the reason my solenoid died after only a year of replacing it?

I know it's supposed to get 12 volts when key is in "start" and "zero" when key is off, but is 3 volts considered "zero"? Can someone with a V8 truck measure this and see if they see the same 3 volts?

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm seeing the 3 volts on the wiring of the "S" terminal, not the terminal itself.

Ok guys as some of you saw my starter solenoid failed recently in my 96. To make a long story short when I pull the "S" terminal wire off my solenoid and test voltage to it with the key out of the ignition, I'm seeing 3 volts. Is this normal or could this have been the reason my solenoid died after only a year of replacing it?

I know it's supposed to get 12 volts when key is in "start" and "zero" when key is off, but is 3 volts considered "zero"? Can someone with a V8 truck measure this and see if they see the same 3 volts?

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm seeing the 3 volts on the wiring of the "S" terminal, not the terminal itself.

Voltage must be measured between two points or places. You are seeing 3V. measured between the S wire connector and where else? Where are you placing the other meter probe? Ground? imp

Voltage must be measured between two points or places. You are seeing 3V. measured between the S wire connector and where else? Where are you placing the other meter probe? Ground? imp

To the neg terminal on the battery. I just checked my 98 F-150 too and it has the exact same voltage so I think it's normal.

To the neg terminal on the battery. I just checked my 98 F-150 too and it has the exact same voltage so I think it's normal.

Bloody electricals!

If you can't hit it with a hammer it's too technical.

Back