Starting 02 Ex V8 turbo build. Need help & info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting 02 Ex V8 turbo build. Need help & info

Whitevenum

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
Hey guys, like the title says i am starting the tubo build on the 2002 explorer v8. Before i start building a turbo kit myself anyone know of a single turbo system i can buy? Also i has no idea of how much power this truck can take with out braking. Anyone know? Does the fuel system need upgrading? The 4x4? The axles? The tranny? Just throw everything you guys know. Please all help would be very helpfull. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

350-400 rwhp is generaly considered to be the limit of the stock 2v 4.6. And the tranny should hold up just fine so long as you arnt always going to be foot to the floor(400 hp is the short term limit) (but lets face it, your not going turbo for the fuel economy :D ). I think rocket ran his for a long time supercharged at 400+? and it was run down the strip a lot. You can plan on larger fuel injectors, and depending on how much boost you want to run you may need to upgrade the fuel pumps, rails, and lines. I think its safe to say you could run 300 daily no problem, and 350 with some frequent maint, and 400 if you only wanted to run her down the strip every now and then. The 5r55w/s is considered a light-duty transmission, and you are just begging for it to break on you. there are things you can do to build it (i just spent 4 grand doing this). I thought about going turbo, running the turbo from behind the driver foglight (fl removed), intercooler placed behind the lower grill opening, and then running the pipe up and to the intake on the passenger side.. Its just a little to involed for my tastes, id rather spend the time with my wife and daughter lol.

if you plan on 4x4 launches plan on blowing t-cases for sure, and tranys pretty quick to. There is a guy on here with a high output turbo mounty that has gone through quite a few transmissions. Best bet would be to make it a mustang with an explorer body. 4x2 (also makes room for a larger oil pan, and will save you 200 lbs easy between the front diff, the shaft, and the t-case) Pull the rear seats (another 200 lbs), and then a nice LS diff leading to some wide back tires. Those mods alone would shave a half second off of you 0-60 times. Combine it with some forced induction and a propperly stalled torque converter and you are looking at a pretty fast truck. 400 horses rwhp is no joke, even SSTB's and SRT8 jeeps only get 330-350 at the wheels. and the explorer is lighter than both.

my dream build would be a TCI 6x (fully independant 6 speed auto), a 5.3 4v (bored + stroked 4.6), and a kenne bell supercharger. Could put 400 down all day, swap a pully at the drag strip, and push 600+ then drive it home.. so the next time i have 25 grand to blow thats first on my list!

350-400 rwhp is generaly considered to be the limit of the stock 2v 4.6. And the tranny should hold up just fine so long as you arnt always going to be foot to the floor(400 hp is the short term limit) (but lets face it, your not going turbo for the fuel economy :D ). I think rocket ran his for a long time supercharged at 400+? and it was run down the strip a lot. You can plan on larger fuel injectors, and depending on how much boost you want to run you may need to upgrade the fuel pumps, rails, and lines. I think its safe to say you could run 300 daily no problem, and 350 with some frequent maint, and 400 if you only wanted to run her down the strip every now and then. The 5r55w/s is considered a light-duty transmission, and you are just begging for it to break on you. there are things you can do to build it (i just spent 4 grand doing this). I thought about going turbo, running the turbo from behind the driver foglight (fl removed), intercooler placed behind the lower grill opening, and then running the pipe up and to the intake on the passenger side.. Its just a little to involed for my tastes, id rather spend the time with my wife and daughter lol.

if you plan on 4x4 launches plan on blowing t-cases for sure, and tranys pretty quick to. There is a guy on here with a high output turbo mounty that has gone through quite a few transmissions. Best bet would be to make it a mustang with an explorer body. 4x2 (also makes room for a larger oil pan, and will save you 200 lbs easy between the front diff, the shaft, and the t-case) Pull the rear seats (another 200 lbs), and then a nice LS diff leading to some wide back tires. Those mods alone would shave a half second off of you 0-60 times. Combine it with some forced induction and a propperly stalled torque converter and you are looking at a pretty fast truck. 400 horses rwhp is no joke, even SSTB's and SRT8 jeeps only get 330-350 at the wheels. and the explorer is lighter than both.

my dream build would be a TCI 6x (fully independant 6 speed auto), a 5.3 4v (bored + stroked 4.6), and a kenne bell supercharger. Could put 400 down all day, swap a pully at the drag strip, and push 600+ then drive it home.. so the next time i have 25 grand to blow thats first on my list!

Thank you very much! I was in the dark about how much power it can handle. To me i need this truck running 4x4 for the witer and im not looking for crazy hp numbers, 300whp 350whp ill be very happy! I just want to have a more funner daily driver. I already have a TT 03 cobra 1100whp, the explorer doesnt need that. Again thank you brother, im going to build the turbo, put in bigger injectors, put her on the dyno and see what else i might need. Who knows maybe ill get away with just that. I also stripped alot out the truck before hand, must of taken out 300lb. than i put in a intake, a exhaust and tuned it on the dyno. Now im taking it up another step :D :thumbsup:

You may want to look into a different manifold/throttle/body/plenum as well. Trick flow makes a great system that is a redesign intended for forced induction, it costs about a grand but looks like it will be worth its weight in gold... plus the explorers manifold is plastic.. so yeah.. :D keep us informed, i have been dieing to see more FI'd explorers.

Sell it and buy an Aviator. 300 horse, 300 ft. lbs., 03 Cobra stuff, drop a Whipple on top if you're bored later. :)

that turns into 230-240 at the wheels, hes looking for a little more oomf that that. Not to mention the stock aviator weights almost 700 lbs more than a similar explorer. I do love them aviators though, somthing sexy about a CLOCK in the dash!

that turns into 230-240 at the wheels, hes looking for a little more oomf that that.

03 Cobra stuff, drop a Whipple on top if you're bored later. :)

More oomph. Half jesting... ;)

But, in all seriousness, the Avi has the same cams as the Mach/Maraduer and the 03 and 04 Cobras. The intake cam is from the Navigator and the exhaust cams are from the 99-01 Cobras. Any Mach 1 or 99-01 Cobra intake will fit.

The Eaton blower will fit but the Aviator's hyper pistons and powder metal rods won't like it much so you'll have to keep the boost low.

I'm waiting for a streetable performance Aerostar.

You may want to look into a different manifold/throttle/body/plenum as well. Trick flow makes a great system that is a redesign intended for forced induction, it costs about a grand but looks like it will be worth its weight in gold... plus the explorers manifold is plastic.. so yeah.. :D keep us informed, i have been dieing to see more FI'd explorers.

That sounds pretty good, ill look into it. Ill post a thread and pictures when its all done.

More oomph. Half jesting... ;)

But, in all seriousness, the Avi has the same cams as the Mach/Maraduer and the 03 and 04 Cobras. The intake cam is from the Navigator and the exhaust cams are from the 99-01 Cobras. Any Mach 1 or 99-01 Cobra intake will fit.

The Eaton blower will fit but the Aviator's hyper pistons and powder metal rods won't like it much so you'll have to keep the boost low.

I'm waiting for a streetable performance Aerostar.

I wouldnt mind the aviator but the damn thing is to big. I dont need a truck that big right now so im going to work with what i have.

They are big trucks. The 2002 Ex will be much slimmer and will obviously take advantage of the weight savings over the portly, potbellied Aviator. :thumbsup:

I wouldnt mind the aviator but the damn thing is to big. I dont need a truck that big right now so im going to work with what i have.

They are big trucks. The 2002 Ex will be much slimmer and will obviously take advantage of the weight savings over the portly, potbellied Aviator. :thumbsup:

How much weight are you guys thinking the Aviator has over the Explorer? Although it will weight more, It's not THAT much more?

If you are looking for around 300hp, then just do the Trickflow topend kit with supports mods(CAI, Tune) and you will be darn close. That's what I plan to do when the time is right.

Mounty03 is the only one I know of that turbo'd a 3rd gen Explorer/Moutaineer. He hasn't posted in some time, but he may still lurk around.

Back