• Register Today It's free!

Starting issue; 94 Navajo

Java Navajo

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin County, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Navajo LX
I have been having a problem with my 94 Mazda Navajo. It will usualy start right up on the first try, no check engine light, runs smooth too. The problem occurs when I turn it off, it will not start again for several hours, it cranks over, ignites then sputters and dies. Also the check engine and battery lights come on at this point. My first measure was to charge the battery and clean the terminals & connections, which did not fix the problem.

This is not my daily driver, I use it in winter and to haul stuff that wont fit in my compact car. So it has been sitting almost completley unused since around March. I generally try to start and run it untill it's warm every few weeks, but I didn't notice this problem until I moved it to mow around and could not restart it until later that night.

I couldn't find any similar problems on explorerforum, but if anyone has advice I would very much appreciate it. I was hoping to take it on my camping trip next week but I have to fix it or take my car into the woods.

-Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What codes do you have???

In addition to pulling codes, I'd probably put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what the fuel pressure is doing on warm starts. I'd also probably check the vacuum line to the FPr for gasoline (gasoline in that vacuum line = bad FPR).

I tried pulling codes the "paper clip" way but my CEL didn't blink at all, after reviewing the sticky thread by Doonze I'm pretty sure I did everything the way it says. My guess is one of the wires came loose or corroded somewhere along the line. Could someone confirm the color wire I'm supposed to jump? I think the little grey plug is white but which wire on the black plug should I be chasing?

I finaly pulled the codes, didn't realize the engine needs to be warm. All I got was 111 but I did recently disconect the battery overnight to charge it. My engine is running ok again, I think it likes cold weather better than hot. I'll be changing sprak plugs soon to see if that helps.

Back