• Register Today It's free!

Starting issue headscratcher.....

wolacroix

Reaction score
City, State
Yampa, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Ive got a 94 Explorer, auto, 4.0 with starting issues..The rig sat all winter and when I started driving it after about a week it started to act like it didnt want to start.It will eventually start after about 30 seconds of cranking. It seems to start pretty well after running for awhile but after sitting for several hours it doesnt want to start. When it does start it smells really rich and belches out some smoke.. Ive changed plugs, fuel filter, battery,and pulled codes(565,72,172,173)on the key on eng. off test. any ideas from you guys would be super appreciated.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

KOEO 565 is for the CAMP solenoid. Usually on these, this code is either a full open in the circuit or a short to ground in the circuit. The circuit isn't very complicated. Should be easy to diagnose with a wiring diagram and a multimeter. Also, shouldn't contribute to a stall/no start.

CM 172 and 173 (CM codes are output during the KOEO test, and O2 sensor codes can't be KOEO codes). Both point to a bad O2 sensor reading. Interesting that you get lean and rich. I might clear CM and see if you get on or both codes back.

Faulty O2 sensor usually doesn't contribute to a no start (O2 sensors aren't active at initial startup). I would probably look at a few other things (like a vacuum leak or something in fuel delivery) before replacing the O2 sensor.

Thanks for that info...Ill try to check fuel pressure this week..Is it possible I have other sensor issues or coil pack problems without it throwing codes???

Is it possible I have other sensor issues or coil pack problems without it throwing codes???
Absolutely, it is possible (to believe otherwise is to believe that computer's are perfect and infallible). I like to eliminate other possible causes before I start chasing "no code" type faults.

I am having a similar problem. The only thing is I am not gettinr any codes, but I am getting no juice from the coil pack to the spark plugs. I have juice to the coil pack. Any ideas would be helpful. I have replaced the ecm, and crank postition sensor, and coil pack still no luck. Thanks for the help. I have a 93 Ford Explorer 4.0L.

Check Your EEC. Your Problem Sounds Very Similar To Mine, I Used To Have To Use Starting Fluid, And Then It Ran Like ****, And Smelled Rich, But After It Warmed Up, I Could Shut It Off And Start It For Days, And I Had Done All The Things You Have Done.

Check Your EEC. Your Problem Sounds Very Similar To Mine, I Used To Have To Use Starting Fluid, And Then It Ran Like ****, And Smelled Rich, But After It Warmed Up, I Could Shut It Off And Start It For Days, And I Had Done All The Things You Have Done.

How would you suggest "checking" an EEC? I've seen your suggestion in another thread - PCM failure is very rare and before throwing such an expensive part at a problem we need more info.

Besides, he just said he replaced his PCM.

dlleather63, so you verified there's power to the coil pack, and installed a new coil pack, but there's no spark coming from the coil pack? Sounds like the coil pack isn't getting triggered if it's not firing.

Did the problem start all at once, did it get gradually worse, what led up to it?

Back