• Register Today It's free!

Starting issue redeaux

SPSmith

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
Having eliminated the fuel pump as being the issue, I replaced the fuel pump and ECM relays. Jumped it and it fired right up. Let it run for a few minutes and shut the hood. It died. Jumped again. Ran beautifully until I shut a rear passenger door and it died. Jumped it, stood back a few minutes and it died without me shutting anything. The relays are properly seated and this condition persists regardless of whether the inertial switch is connected or bypassed.

Any ideas? Would it be necessary to completely disconnect the battery and reset the computer?

Have you checked the alternator to see if it is charging the battery? and have you pulled the battery to check and see if there is a bad cell? The added resistance can cause a pseudo-incomplete circuit issue with the same results (I had that issue once :rolleyes:).

Checking the battery cables (I've seen them rot away to nothing inside and look perfectly healthy outside), contacts, and grounds are all good places to start too. I know that you've probably already checked this simple stuff since you have replaced the fuel pump, but I figured there is no harm in asking anyway, 'leave no stone unturned' and all.

Back