How to: - Starting my 00M12 Installation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Starting my 00M12 Installation

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Quick question, my 00 sport does the whole rattle on the first couple of cold starts each day, although sometimes it varies and does it less and maybe maybe more. I want to try doing this but I'm convinced it will take me some time to get done bc I don't want to rush it. I'd like to wait till it warms up enough to where I can ride my motorcycle so I'll still have a set of wheels. But with all this global warming we've been having throughout the U.S. lately (totally kidding, Gore is a hardcore douscher) it will be at least a couple of months until its warm enough. My question is how long do you think I have to till something really bad happens? Or is it all situational?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front or rear?

Can you tell if the rattle is coming from the upper right rear, upper left front or lower center front? The thread does not cover replacement of the right rear tensioner which is not much more difficult than replacing the right rear spark plug if you have the right combination of tools. The photo below shows what you see after removing the right wheel and inner fender flap.
TensHead.jpg

The dark hex head is the outer end of the tensioner. If your rattle is coming from the rear I wouldn't wait till spring to replace the tensioner.

Some members have driven their SOHC for years with startup chain rattle and not had catastrophic failure. You probably will be OK waiting till spring for the 00M12 installation. Just keep monitoring the rattle for an increase in intensity.

Well I'm pretty sure its from the front (mainly hoping) but how would you reccomend diagnosing whether or not it is the front or back? I'm still kinda trying to even figure out where exactly they are both located

rattle locator

When my rattle first started before I could get out of the vehicle to listen it would stop. Eventually it lasted long enough that I tried to locate it with a mechanic's stethoscope. I had just as much luck using a length of hose. Mine sounded like it was coming from the front and rear. I couldn't tell if it was near the top or bottom of the engine. So far by removing the valve covers I have verified chain to metal post contact at the upper rear but not at the upper front. I suspect when I get the timing cover removed I'll find the jackshaft chain tensioner is shot.

Awesome thread!

*claps* This thread was a lifesaver today when I changed the upper/lower intake gaskets. I decided not to do the 00m12 kit because I haven't really heard the tell-tale "rattling". Also, before too much longer I'm HOPING to have the money to either rebuild the engine or buy a rem one. One place I might suggest a change is in the first post you say there are 7 torx screws holding the upper manifold on. There are eight. Thank god my fiance was standing there because I was about to take a hammer to the damn thing determined to get it off. Only when I looked through your pictures again did I see where I was missing a screw. I know it's just a trivial thing BUT maybe it will save someone else the headache of trying for hours to get the stupid manifold off going "but he says there are 7...I've got everything disconnected" Much thanks to you for putting this together. :thumbsup:

Number of screws

Thanks for catching and reporting the error in the number of Torx screws. I apologize for the inconvenience it caused you and have made the correction. I'm thankful you didn't force the manifold to remove it and crack it.

HI dale,

I didn't see you mention the oil galley plug and restrictor install...

CJ

Hi Dale,

I didn't see you mention the oil galley and restrictor install....

CJ

Supplemental notes

Remember as I pointed out in the first post, this thread was notes and comments to supplement the excellent step by step procedure by mikeh which I referenced. There is a brief mention of the galley plug and restrictor in post #10.

StreetRod,

What solvents/tools did you use to effectively clean your upper and lower intakes? This weekend I'm going to attempt replacing the upper/lower gaskets on my 96 OHV and I'm expecting build-up that's worse than what you've pictured.

Slow cleaning process

StreetRod,

What solvents/tools did you use to effectively clean your upper and lower intakes? This weekend I'm going to attempt replacing the upper/lower gaskets on my 96 OHV and I'm expecting build-up that's worse than what you've pictured.

The process I used was slow and not very effective. I purchased a package of three small wire brushes in the paint department of Wal-Mart. I had a can of aerosol throttle body cleaner that I used as a solvent. The brushes were not stiff enough and the throttle body cleaner was not strong enough to rapidly separate the carbon buildup from the plastic surfaces of the manifolds so at times I used a small flat screwdriver with worn edges so it wouldn't gouge the plastic. There must be a better method.

I found out that Acetone worked quite well in dissolving the carbon deposits but there was still scrubbing involved with a rag.

You want to keep the ports polished as much as you can.

The Acetone did not hurt the manifold plastic....

You can get it at Homedeopt i think in the paint department....

CJ

I was unable to install the restictor rod.

It looks like there may have been one installed previously!

Very hard to see down the hole!

If this job had been done before the replacement gasket are different!

CJ

I have an 01 sport 4.0 sohc with about 86k on it. It runs great and never has a cold start issue due to the fact the I live in Hawaii.

I was wondering if anybody thought it would be a good idea to do the intake gaskets/tensioner replacement kit now while everythings running good as a preventative maintenace thing or should I leave it alone since it ain't broken?

I have had the truck since it had about 36k on it and have done regular maintenance on it since I've had it e.g. oil changes, trans fluid change, radiator flush, brakes, upper control arm replacement, lower control arm ball joint, shocks etc. I found out after I bought it that it was a rental car in southern California for about 3 years, so it's really never been exposed to cold weather. Most of it's life has been in ideal driving conditions in my opinion.

Any input or opinion is appreciated.

Tensioner replacement

I, and other members, suggest replacing the left and right hydraulic tensioners every 75,000 miles. It costs less to buy the entire 00M12 kit that includes the left tensioner than it does to buy just the left hydraulic tensioner.

I, and other members, suggest replacing the left and right hydraulic tensioners every 75,000 miles. It costs less to buy the entire 00M12 kit that includes the left tensioner than it does to buy just the left hydraulic tensioner.

Is that to say I should do the intake gaskets as well? I have a 00m12 kit on the way, but was just gonna put it aside until I had a problem.

Where is the right tensioner located?

Change the gaskets

Since you have to remove the upper intake manifold to replace the left front tensioner I would go ahead and replace the gaskets. Chances are you will sell the vehicle before they need to be replaced again.

See the following thread:Rear Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

Is there an official symptom list where the suggested solution is installation of the 00m12 kit? I have a rattle on very cold starts (belolw zero F) and a very light rattle and rpm flare around 2.5k when in warmer weather. What causes the rpm flare? I am just trying to determine if this 00m12 kit will be a decent solution that will allow me to avoid pulling the motor for a while.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question, my 00 sport does the whole rattle on the first couple of cold starts each day, although sometimes it varies and does it less and maybe maybe more. I want to try doing this but I'm convinced it will take me some time to get done bc I don't want to rush it. I'd like to wait till it warms up enough to where I can ride my motorcycle so I'll still have a set of wheels. But with all this global warming we've been having throughout the U.S. lately (totally kidding, Gore is a hardcore douscher) it will be at least a couple of months until its warm enough. My question is how long do you think I have to till something really bad happens? Or is it all situational?

You got that right!.

Global Warming is the biggest hoax in the history of the world.

I used to have respect for scientist but it has been more about getting grant MONEY more then anything else!

The lack of integrity is sad!

CJ

Back