Starting Problems Again.............. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting Problems Again..............

ducrnd

Reaction score
City, State
N,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 xlt
OK, since the Anti Theft device may be a problem,I doubt it.. I purchased a new key from ford with the chip inside to replace my old one. and today the same thing happens...... I go out start the trk. starts up then dies... now only cranks over never starts, Last time they said it was the key wearing out, Hence the new key.. But AGAIN.. left me stranded...I have noticed the anti theft light not blinking when this problem occurs. and sometime it blinks normally and starts right up........ Im the origional owner 120k on it. has been happening since about 100k on it. Any Ideas what may be it... No Scans have picked up a problem..........can it be the Ignition cylinder going bad ??? Need help on this quick...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd take a look at the fuel pump.

Does it have any kind of a remote car starter on it?

Fuel pump is fine. checked that out... no remote starter.. this is a non modified exp.
I have noticed the anti theft light not blinking when this happens. and when it blinks it starts fine.....soooo ignition cylinder ? transponder. PATS system unit . 23 ,ooo $ disposible trk........

I wasn't sure if some of the explorers came with a stock remote starter or not. The problem you are describing; I've heard of before but the problem was linked to the remote starter deal. Once it was aftermarket and on another car it was a stock remote starter.

If I had to guess I would say that it does have something to do with the anti theft system, although I've never heard of this being a problem on the 2nd generation models.. or any explorer for that matter.

It has something to do with the ignition coil not getting power.. Either it's a loose wire or the computer is cutting power to it..

Back