• Register Today It's free!

steering problem

bcbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
british columbia canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 eddie bauer
When turning left the steering wheel doesn't pull back to centre on it's own and feels a little loose. It just started doing it all of a sudden today and doesn't do it when turning right. Any insight would be apreciated before I take it to a shop tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Rusty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a clicking noise and yes it does pull when braking

Thank you very much. Ill take a look in the morning and with any luck it will be the bearings, I can fix that myself.

Yikes! My 92 has been acting up, too. I think its in the steering gear. Same problem: doesn't return to center, but it also feels like the power steering assist is varying. I replaced the power steering pump a couple of years ago with a rebuilt one from Autozone. Maybe the new pump is going or could it be the steering box? The problem is intermittent, which would rule out tie rods, etc.

Bob

Thank you very much BrooklynBay, just got back from the mechanic and it turns out the u joints on the drivers side was seized.

Here is a picture of a CV joint, tie rod, ball joint, and other front end components:
410701190168.jpg

CV joints are known to click when they start to go bad as well as U joints.

I have the same issue with my 94, is the clicking in my hub the click you guys are refering to? I know its the hub for sure that is doing the clicking though, is there any way short of replacing the cv's to stop this? and how much would it cost to do them? myself vs. shop. Thanks , Jon

first off 91-94 do not have CV axles
they have the TTB
The TTB uses a steering power assist gear box with a pitman arm and inverted Y style steering linkage.

the 95 uses rack and pinion, two completely different trucks (apples to oranges)

A shake down test of the front end (both tires off the ground, visual and hands on inspection) can point out worn or loose parts such as ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm, etc.
Wheel bearings, hubs, draggins brakes can cause pulling and steering issues as well.
Also with the TTB if your slip yoke in the passenger side axle shaft setup is frozen, or if your U joints are bad, etc, even though they are not spinning (unless a hub is locked) they can still cause some steering issues.

Also check the steering shaft itself and its connection to the power steering gear box.
I replaced my power steering box with a rebuilt unit for $120 at approx 200K miles on the BII, made a world of difference.

Back