Steering rack removal / oil filter bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering rack removal / oil filter bracket

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
I'm in the process of removing the steering rack on a '99 Mountaineer with the 5.0 V8. The main power steering pressure line and the line to the p.s. cooler are next to impossible to reach. It looks like the bracket that holds the oil filter, If removed, will allow me plenty of clearance to easily remove the power steering lines from the rack. It looks as if there is only 1 bolt holding the oil filter bracket on.

Is it difficult to remove the oil filter bracket and are there any reasons I shouldn't remove it? I'm really stuck here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No one? No one knows about the oil adapter on the 5.0?

I don't think there's any concern with removing it. It's just an adapter. You may need a new o-ring or gasket where it mates with the block though.

Thank you Masospaghetti. Much appreciated.

It needed a little encouragement, but it came off with a little effort. I was able to clean, oil and re-use the original gasket too.

Back