Steering Wheel Compatibility Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Compatibility Question

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have once again destroyed the padding under the leather of another X steering wheel. So, I head to eBay to look for another one. I find one that I think should be perfect.
i-1.JPG

But the seller lists it as fitting a 97-01 Explorer, part number F77Z-3600-AC. F7 meaning 97.

The same seller has this one listed.
i-1.JPG

He lists it as fitting 95-01 Rangers/Explorers, part number F67Z-3600-AAC. F6 meaning 96.

I am interested in the first one because it is gray. But the listing of these two wheels as fitting different years bothers me. I can't see any difference between the two, other than color. So, would the one listed for the 97-01 fit on a '96? I am probably just being paranoid because my dad got a steering wheel earlier this week for his Bronco that was originally made for a Lincoln. The wheels were basically identical as far as airbags and cc switches, but the steering shafts were completely different. I don't want there to be a small difference like that when I order a new wheel.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always thought that if the shape is the same, it will fit. I highly doubt that Ford changed any of the internals when the exterior shape is the same. Sellers on eBay are often confused about model years.

In the pics they look identical.

That is admittantly disturbing that there would be different part numbers. Have you tried your local junk yard?
I would go with the 95-96 compatible, the black might even provide a nice contrast. I'll ask my friend at work, I know he got a new steering wheel for his 95 last month from EBay, perhaps he got a later year wheel. When do the auctions end?
Greg

I think it has like one day left. I replaced the one on my 95 with one off eBay, and never even thought of there being differences in them. I wouldn't mind a black wheel, but I think the black wheel/gray airbag would just bother me after awhile.;) From my experience with Ford leather wheels, I don't want a used one. The padding underneath will seem perfectly fine, and then one day, ba-boom, crap! This one on my 96 felt perfectly fine when I got it. Now, nine months later, it is trash.

I am pretty certain that this eBay one will fit. I have never heard of any differences in them here. I just wanted to re-confirm that before spending the dough.:D

Thanks Guys!

Nice looking wheels! I think you are right about matching the color of the airbag with the wheel. Black airbag with gray wheel etc. would probably drive me crazy??!!
Quick question for someone with knowledge about wheels........
I have a non-cruise control wheel. I always wondered if a CC equiped wheel might fit. How are the cruise control button pads attached? Can they be removed? IF removed, would it show on the wheel housing? Space, notched, etc? I was trying to figure out if the cc pads were removed, would the wheel housing look like mine now without the pads. Anyone know about this? The wheels look identical to me other than the cc pads. Any info could help.
Thanks,
Ken

Back