Steering Wheel Controls To Cycle Through Presets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Wheel Controls To Cycle Through Presets

ISTGradFromPSU

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
I upgraded from a '17 Limited to a '18 Platinum and one difference I have noticed with regards to SYNC 3 is if I used the right directional pad on the steering wheel to cycle through presets, in the '17 the up arrow meant "Next" or to the right and down meant "Previous" or to the left.. now in the '18, up means previous and down means next. Anyone else with an '18 have this same behavior? I can use the play next and play previous buttons below that pad to cycle through in the directional manner that makes sense. I know the arrow buttons are working properly cause in the IPC the selection changes appropriately in the direction I request. I guess this is just a pain because I got used to it working a certain way in the '17 and I didn't think it would change in the 18' since both were Sync 3.0 (also I have the latest 3.0.20204).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..................... Anyone else with an '18 have this same behavior?.....................................
Have you checked the Owner's Manual to verify that is the way it is supposed to work?

Peter

That’s the thing. The owners manual doesn’t even mention that pad at all or what it does. The pictures show a different pad configuration with different buttons. And I went through all 4 versions plus the HTML version

I see the button pictures on page 78 of the 4th printing of the Manual. There are 2 types. Are you referring to the one labelled Type One and that it is not how yours appears? It is not unusual for Ford to recycle images from previous manuals. Unfortunately, I don't have the vehicle you need for comparison.

Peter

yes

1639156613886.png

and yet i have (this is how the 2017 looked as well):

1639156809531.png

Sticker in the door says build date of 2/18 so sorta well into the 2018 model year manufacturing

I think Type 1 is for those with IPC type 1 (base explorer/PIU) since it only has 1 LCD screen in the cluster.. All other trims would get the 4 directional pad since the IPC's have 2 or more screens in the cluster (as depicted below).

1639157456836.png

I just checked the 2018 manual 1st print and those pictures are different. It shows Type One as being the Type Two in the 4th printing.

1639158273450.png

Funny enough.. going through the owner's manual, I can't find where they even mention how to use/navigate the right LCD in the IPC 2 or the center LCD in the IPC 3

1639158306258.png

The arrow points to the center screen which is where the "Entertainment, Navigation, Communication and Speedometer" options which are controlled by the directional pad on the right side of the steering wheel (the one i am having the issue with), no where in the manual does it mention this.. The options the manual talks about (Trip 1 & 2, Fuel Economy, Driver Assist, Settings) are in the LCD within the tachometer and are controlled with the directional pad on the left side of the steering wheel (technically in the IPC 3, there are 3 separate displays, the one within the speedometer is for Lane Keeping Assist and Speed Limit Sign display).

Back