steering wheel shake when braking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering wheel shake when braking?

snocross1985

Explorer-less
Reaction score
City, State
Stratham, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
When I am driving down the highway and apply the brakes easy or hard around 45-65 mph, I get a violent shake in the steering wheel (steering wheel shakes up and down). The harder I brake, the harder it shakes, but only between 45-65 mph. What could be causing this? Its really starting to concern me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the car pull to one side? sounds like a warped rotor. mine used to do this like no other. are you SURE its ONLY at 45-60? try going like 30 and slamming on the brakes. you should feel the pulsation as well. if so, u need to pull the rotors and have them re-machined

Did you check the bolts that hold the steering box on? I had that problem with a 78 250/4wd. I took the bolts out and put new bolts with a coating of thread lock. Never happened again.

I had a feeling it was a warped rotor issue. Could something like ball joints or alignment cause this? Where would I get the rotors remachined? How much does that usually cost? Thanks for your help everyone.

My old car used to have this problem aswell. My rotors were all rusted on the insides and I just bought new rotors and everything was all good. Can't remember what I paid though.

Autozone's here have the rotor lathe in house. They charge 5 a piece. I'm sure there are local places that will machine them for the same price.

some napas also have a machine shop. call and ask first before you go to any shop. theyre not that common and you dont wanna be running around all day on bad rotors.

if they are warped most likely you cant get them turned on a lathe...buy new ones. also think about the miles you have on your EX and when if ever you replaced the rotors. have you by chgance checked to see if your tires are in balance? my X did this about a year ago and the tires were out of balance..

Pheonixx77 said:
if they are warped most likely you cant get them turned on a lathe...buy new ones. also think about the miles you have on your EX and when if ever you replaced the rotors. have you by chgance checked to see if your tires are in balance? my X did this about a year ago and the tires were out of balance..
You can still get them cut, I did it twice to my current set of rotors.

I'm sure this is something my local mechanic can do. I am starting school and a part-time job this week, and really don't have the time (or knowledge for that fact) to take my rotors off.

Back