• Register Today It's free!

Stereo keeps falling

MDmounty

Reaction score
City, State
Preston, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty V8
Just as the title says, my stereo keeps falling out from the bezel. I have an aftermarket stereo installed and the bezel holding the stereo keeps sliding out. It's become quite a problem since the roads I travel aren't the greatest and are bumpy I've had my stereo completely fall out on multiple occasions. I thought about getting longer bolts that go in the bottom of the bezel and drilling them through to my stereo bezel and throwing some nuts on it to hold it in place but the bolts they use are an odd size and I cannot find any anywhere. Does anyone else have this problem? If you do how did you fix it? Thank you for any input

1st guess is its time for a new/different radio adapter.

Sounds like the retaining tabs on yours have failed and won't securely retain the adapter to the dash.

Your OE Ford radio had strong snap-in clamps that held it securely in place. Aftermarket radios don't use the same system and cheap radio adapters aren't strong enough to hold a heavy radio with modification. Even if the radio stays in the adapter under most conditions, if you get rear ended it will come flying out of the dash.

You'll need to figure out a way to attach the new radio adapter to the OE radio bezel. Also be sure to use the slide support that should have come with the adapter to support the rear of the radio.

It definitely sounds like I have a bad stereo adapter does anybody have any suggestions of some higher quality ones for me

Back