Stic-o Class C RV. Say hello to Sunny🌞 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stic-o Class C RV. Say hello to Sunny🌞

Well it's been a long time coming (although probably not the best time with gas prices 😮‍💨)

We finally bought a Motorhome.

2018 Forest River Sunseeker on a E-450 chassis.

*V-10/ 6 -speed
*28' (which really means 30'🙄)
*2 slides Kitchen/living and rear bedroom
*Outdoor Kitchen/ TV
*Rear and side cameras
*Tons of upgrades

Bought from a private owner who runs a RV repair place in the OC, and this was there private unit that they factory ordered.

Her name was Sunny, which we plan to keep.

20220305_144919.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does this rig do pulling JP on a trailer?

Powerwise it could be improved on grades. It kinda sucks. Going up cajon pass, the pedal was literally on the floor. But I had the same issue with just the Ranger behind it going up Monarch Pass. She'll hold at about 40 mph though.

The bigger issue is the rear sag, (2" even with the air bags maxed out) which is fixable with a rear spring upgrade, but the biggest of the issue is the rear frame. With JP or the Ranger on the trailer, it's too much tongue weight. I have a load leveling hitch that I haven't mastered yet, but there is hope. With too much tongue weight the rear frame is actually bending, where the rear basement doors bind when trying to open. 😳 Once the weight is removed they go back to normal, but not a good thing. I need to reinforce the rear frame, which I have plans to do, and already have the metal, just need to block out some time. This was the main reason why we ultimately decided to flat tow the Ranger. I will not tow the flatbed loaded behind it until I beef it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently read an article that Campgrounds are going to install meters at each site and charge for electricity use.
coming back to this- was at a campsite yesterday and there was a meter on the hookup :eek:

Powerwise it could be improved on grades. It kinda sucks. Going up cajon pass, the pedal was literally on the floor. But I had the same issue with just the Ranger behind it going up Monarch Pass. She'll hold at about 40 mph though.

The bigger issue is the rear sag, (2" even with the air bags maxed out) which is fixable with a rear spring upgrade, but the biggest of the issue is the rear frame. With JP or the Ranger on the trailer, it's too much tongue weight. I have a load leveling hitch that I haven't mastered yet, but there is hope. With too much tongue weight the rear frame is actually bending, where the rear basement doors bind when trying to open. 😳 Once the weight is removed they go back to normal, but not a good thing. I need to reinforce the rear frame, which I have plans to do, and already have the metal, just need to block out some time. This was the main reason why we ultimately decided to flat tow the Ranger. I will not tow the flatbed loaded behind it until I beef it up.
pedal to the floor on tejon pass from grapevine up the hill (id say similar to cajon but not as long) the explorer does about 45 foot to the floor... and lets not talk about sonora... seems liek the RV can hold its own!

Ugh... batteries. Had to replace all of the batteries in the RV. The truck one was still the original motorcraft. Put in a AGM from Walmart.

For the coach itself, it had been converted to 6V golf cart batteries. Run in a series to make 12v, they are supposed to be better for boondocking. They were super nasty with giant Easter eggs of corrosion. I filled a soda can full of corrosion dust. Costco actually had these batteries in stock, which was awesome.

This is after I cleaned them off. I had cut one nut off, and another there wasn't much left because it was so corroded.

20240316_152840.jpg

That is a lot of corrosion! Lead acid batteries are nasty
Using several 6v batteries gives you more reserve power (capacity) but the newer agm or even lithium 12v batteries will way out perform those old 6v lead acids, life po batteries will recharge about 4 times as fast and have a deeper capacity but they are also $$$$$$
I went with agm for our battery bank at the house because the cost of lithium is so high

The Costco 6 volts have bad reviews. They don't seem to last very long. I have four 6 volt AGM's. They work great with my 380 watts of solar. Last night I watched two movies with the surround sound going, and accidentally had the fridge on AC power. Even used the microwave and the batteries never went below 12 volts. Their at 13.1 charging now.

We haven't done much boondocking, we are hooked up a lot of places we go with the fam. So $104 a piece batteries it is for now.

Karo syrup will keep the terminals from corroding.

Just picked up an E450 based Class C that looks very similar to yours, I suppose they all look pretty much the same. We sold the 5th wheel trailer that we barely used. I never got used to pulling that monster. Driving the Class C back home wasn't nearly as difficult for me. Time to get out for some road trips again. We haven't been out since before covid. I do plan on pulling a trailer with a car on it for getting around, but no plans on taking this one to Truck Haven. I still have the Dodge and Lance camper for that. Both are 20 years old. The Lance has seen better days, but I think it will hold up to the occasional outing.

entegra.jpg

Just picked up an E450 based Class C that looks very similar to yours, I suppose they all look pretty much the same. We sold the 5th wheel trailer that we barely used. I never got used to pulling that monster. Driving the Class C back home wasn't nearly as difficult for me. Time to get out for some road trips again. We haven't been out since before covid. I do plan on pulling a trailer with a car on it for getting around, but no plans on taking this one to Truck Haven. I still have the Dodge and Lance camper for that. Both are 20 years old. The Lance has seen better days, but I think it will hold up to the occasional outing.

View attachment 451189

Very nice. The Air Bags in these are kinda worthless for towing. My plan is to get rid of the air bags do a add a leaf, and go to Sumo Springs in the rear. Also still have to reinforce the frame behind the axle.

Very nice. The Air Bags in these are kinda worthless for towing. My plan is to get rid of the air bags do a add a leaf, and go to Sumo Springs in the rear. Also still have to reinforce the frame behind the axle.

I would like to see pics when you have the chance. Have you done anything to the front suspension? I see a lot of people with the same unit I have, installed the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer.

I would like to see pics when you have the chance. Have you done anything to the front suspension? I see a lot of people with the same unit I have, installed the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer.

Only thing I have done to the front suspension, it swap out the factory motorcraft shocks for Bilsteins, including the Steering Stabilizer. Made a big difference.

Back