Sticker help... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sticker help...

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, the other day I tried to remove a sticker of some sort off the hatchback of my explorer and it's like it's become part of the paint or something, it's apparently been on there for a long long time and it's faded. It was put on by a dealership and it's not exactly an eyesore but I think I'd like if it wasn't on there but I can't really get it off without scrapping the paint which right now is impeccable. Any ideas? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A heat gun... This has a good chance of giving you a blister on your fingertips...... Don't ask how I know.........

Careful with the heat gun on paint. Good way to ruin it.

Yeah I'm Leary of a heat gun, I just thought there was something out there that was designed for this or a special technique for getting it off, I'd show you a picture of it if I could, It's literally like it's binded to the paint, WD-40 doesn't budge it, I even tried scrapping it with a plastic card to no avail.

Some vinyls glue residue is terrible. They do make special adhesive removers for this, lots of them being citrus based. Maybe an acid like vinegar or fast orange soap.

They do make a cheaper product called 'sticker off' that may help.

Harbor freight heat gun $8. Low heat, keep it moving. Should reactivate the glue. Will leave residue, use nail polish remover to clean up, or goo-b-gone. Then wax and polish.

I wouldn't be too worried about the heat. In the sun my Mounty gets so hot you can't touch it.

Even after your remove the sticker the paint beneath might be a different color than the rest of the car . Might look worse.

Use a heat gun but always vary the heat by -constantly- moving the gun back and forth and in and out. If you hold it in one place too long it will bubble up the paint. I removed a pinstripe from around my entire explorer once using a heat gun and old gift card, along with some goo gone/cleaner for lubricant and a rag.

Back