Stock 5.0 cam specs ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stock 5.0 cam specs ?

Anyone got these ? I can find the specs for mustangs easily enough but I am curious as to what the 5.0 in the Ex has stock. I want to know this to see what difference 1.7 roller rockers would make to everything.

Thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking at this same question the other day. This is the general consensus from posts in various forums - nothing official, so take it for what it's worth:

Explorer 5.0
0.422 / 0.448 lift (1.6 rockers)
256 / 266 advertised duration

Mustang H.O.
0.444 / 0.444 lift (1.6 rockers)
276 / 266 advertised duration

Mustang Cobra 93
0.479 / 0.479 lift (factory 1.7 rockers)
270 / 270 advertised duration

Cool thankyou.
That means with a set of 1.7 RR's the Ex cam would come out at 0.448/0.476 list, much better. Not sure about duration.

A friend has a 99 Mountaineer motor in a hot rod and we're checking out really cheap mods. Seems 1.7 RR's on the stock cam and a Police Interceptor torque converter should get it moving a bit. Exhaust and intake are done already.
I might follow the same path when I get done channeling my truck...

I was looking at this same question the other day. This is the general consensus from posts in various forums - nothing official, so take it for what it's worth:

Explorer 5.0
0.422 / 0.448 lift (1.6 rockers)
256 / 266 advertised duration

Mustang H.O.
0.444 / 0.444 lift (1.6 rockers)
276 / 266 advertised duration

Mustang Cobra 93
0.479 / 0.479 lift (factory 1.7 rockers)
270 / 270 advertised duration

Forum lore suggests that a good budget combo is the HO cam with 1.7's.

Forum lore suggests that a good budget combo is the HO cam with 1.7's.

True, but we were hoping to not pull the cam, that'd just lead to new lifters, intake off etc etc.
We just want to go with things we can hang on it easily for now.

Also, wouldn't a HO with 1.7's run into valve spring binding on a stock GT40P head ?

Also, wouldn't a HO with 1.7's run into valve spring binding on a stock GT40P head ?
I was talking to FRPP tech awhile back and they said that 1.7's should be OK on a stock Ex engine. Using the above numbers, The HO cam with 1.7's should have slightly less max valve lift than the Explorer exhaust with 1.7's.

1.7 rr's

I was checking out your thread and thought I would jump in. Just remember more lift does not always mean more hp. I was reading a pony rag a while back and they tested the theory of rr's vs stamped steel in several different formats on a 306 with P heads and a small cam I think it was around .512 at stock lift. Anyways turned out the motor made more power with 1.6's on the intake and 1.7's on the exhaust than it did with 1.6 or 1.7 all the way around. Which does seem to go with the fact that even though the P heads are one of the best stock iron heads from Ford they still fall into the same relm as all Ford heads in that the exhaust port is always the weak link.

I was checking out your thread and thought I would jump in. Just remember more lift does not always mean more hp. I was reading a pony rag a while back and they tested the theory of rr's vs stamped steel in several different formats on a 306 with P heads and a small cam I think it was around .512 at stock lift. Anyways turned out the motor made more power with 1.6's on the intake and 1.7's on the exhaust than it did with 1.6 or 1.7 all the way around. Which does seem to go with the fact that even though the P heads are one of the best stock iron heads from Ford they still fall into the same relm as all Ford heads in that the exhaust port is always the weak link.

True, sadly I don't have the cash to mess with getting two sets of RR just to experiment with but when it comes time maybe I could play around using the stock steel ones and the 1.7's.
This article
http://www.stangpro.com/html/articles/gt40p_files/gt40p1.htm
Has a lot of great info on the P heads and the exhaust side does seem better than most Ford heads for these motors.
Really, anything has got to be better than the stock cam right ? Both vehicles we're messing with are lighter than a stock Ex by a long shot.

rr's

No do not use the stock stamped steel I've read too many times were even though they are rated at 1.6 most often they fall short of that mark. I been a long time pony guy before makeing the switch to an X and have found that even aftermarket stamped steel are better than the stock ones. So when you do decided to change out the rockers go with roller on intake and exhaust weather your testing the 1.6-1.7 combo or lineing them up all the way around.

Good to know,I think I'd read that somewhere else also.

No do not use the stock stamped steel I've read too many times were even though they are rated at 1.6 most often they fall short of that mark. I been a long time pony guy before makeing the switch to an X and have found that even aftermarket stamped steel are better than the stock ones. So when you do decided to change out the rockers go with roller on intake and exhaust weather your testing the 1.6-1.7 combo or lineing them up all the way around.

Back