stock fender flare ?s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stock fender flare ?s

Will the wide stock fender flares off of a '97 Explorer fit on a '92 Explorer?
I've seen pics and it looks like they will work.

'92 Explorer XLT 4x4, 3" BL, 5.5" Superlift suspension, single steering stablelizer, 33x12.50 Procomp X-Terrains, Warn manual hubs, Hoop steps, going to lock the rear, and regear to 4.10 or 4.56, so I can run 35" tires or larger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure but I doubt they'd just bolt up. Otherwise, there would be people on this site with 2nd gen flares on a 1st gen.

Not with out some sort of major modification. first gen wheel wells are a different shape and are smaller than the wheel wheels on a 2nd gen.

I was afraid of that being the case, anyway I guess it was worth a shot, because Bushwacker aftermarket flares cost around $450 and I think that is way too much for a few pieces of freak'en plastic. Thanks guys for the feedback. :)

You could always buy some fender flares like what I have. (Check out my cardomain site) They look the same as the Warn ones except they aren't as beefy. And they don't connect to any body moulding, side steps, etc. at the bottom of the truck. I got mine off of this site from a Navajo.

BMX dude, thanks for the advise and I checked out your X very nice, very clean makes me want to detail mine. Anyway it just so happens I jacked the same fender flares you have off of a X sport in the juckyard about a week ago I only paid $20 for them but had to paint them and trim a little of the rear ones since I have a four door. Check out my X at the Domain
http://members.cardomain.com/timberwolf0378

Your X looks good. Pretty Tall. :thumbsup: The flares look good on your truck, you got a real good deal for only $20!

Just to revive an old subject. I have 98 EB flares(FAT ONES) on my 91. The only thing I did was drill into the bottom of the fender and use small sheet metal screws. I am test fitting the rear ones today. The fender wells do not appear to be any different on the 2nd gens from the 1st gens. I will most likely drill holes in the rear panels so I can use the clips. It all appears to line up. :D

All the above is false. The fenders look to be very diff but are not. I just installed flares from a 1998 Eddie Bauer on my 1994 explorer. They fit perfect. They are currently off as I just had them sprayed Deep Cranberry Purple to match the entire truck. I will be installing them again on Saturday.
I will take some pics.
You will need to drill the holes in your rocker panels as the 91-92 didnt have them. My 1994 has the same holes that the 1995-2001 explorers have so it bolted right up.

I will have pics soon. I have taken a break from my trail rig to restore my 94. It only has 80k original miles and will look completely diff. I went with the full running boards and flares from a Eddie Bauer.
I am using stock 3M tape in some spots to keep from having to drill all the doors but it will still be held on by the screws inside the fenders.
Pics to come soon.

thats awsome...i have been thinking about getting EB flares and using 3M 2 sides tape also..im very interested in how it turns out.

man, that is one clean looking X :thumbsup: I do have 1 question. I've got a set of warn fender flares but can't figure out how they mount to the rear doors :confused: Thinking I might have to fab something up with some sheet metal and pop rivets... it's all getting herculined so don't mind drilling on her, but how did you do yours?

:chug: :chug:

Very nice Brian. I'm sorry that I didn't get to taking those pictures for you. I've been in a hurry to get to clipping my 93 Limited, using the 99 Limited. Chris, do you still have the 95 Limited?

Thanks guys. The rear door flares are hel on with 3M tape I bought from a paint and body shop. Its the same stuff Ford uses.

Lots more to come.

I said screw it and drilled holes for the snaps. I also put a couple of sheet metal screws on the bottom side of the fender. I also painted mine with bedliner. Looks tuff. I would have pics but cant find the interface cable for the camera. I dont see how that tape will work. The only part on mine that touch the truck are the top edges of the flares. Also, if you go off road you are less likely to rub them off by accident.

The flares are held on by screws. The only pieces of mine that are held on with taoe is the 1 foot section that attaches to the door.
This is one of three explorers I own. I have a trail rig that does the wheeling so this one wont be used for that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah Josh if you can come up with pics that would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

:chug: :chug:

Back