STOCK radio wiring doesn't match diagrams | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STOCK radio wiring doesn't match diagrams

glennnall

Reaction score
2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac -

I'm putting in a new JVC stereo. no problem.

to identify the wiring in the Ford's harness, i've found many 'diagrams' that all define the same wires:

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Light Green
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Light Blue/Red
and so on...

i've paired off all my speaker wires, which DO match said diagrams, and i'm left with NO yellow wire, 2 RED w/ black stripe wires, 2 GREEN (same shade) w/ black stripe and a WHITE w purple stripe.

wiringHarness.jpg

i ATTEMPTED (no reprimands, please) to power up with my Ground, Stereo Red to one of the Red wires and 2 speaker wires and got NO power.

i then attempted the same along with my Yellow to one of the Gr/Black, still no power. (i'm betting some of those need to be twisted together, but i'm done 'testing'...).

could some kind soul please, please explain :

a) why several diagrams online are calling for Lt Green and Yellow/Black and Lt Blue/Red while i have NONE of those wires in my harness...?

and

b) from the pic posted, how the heck do i make my stereo work? :eek:)

aside from my speaker wires, my stereo harness has BLACK, RED and YELLOW. Even the speaker wires match. who'da thunk it...?

i really do appreciate anyone's help.

I've installed a lot of aftermarket radios in a lot of cars, and it's always easier to just buy a wire harness, but i have done it by matching wires also. In you case, the yellow wire is probably not used (I think it is light dimmer), and maybe not the black (radio may be grounded in another way). The red power wire will have to be hooked up. If it were me, I would turn on the key to make sure i have power to the radio, and use a voltmeter (or something) to make sure which wire is supplying power (one of the wires will be power). Hook that up to red and see if radio comes on. If not hook the black wire up to a ground, it may be one of the other wires or just attach to a screw that grounds to car. If you aren't getting power anywhere, check fuses.

I've installed a lot of aftermarket radios in a lot of cars, and it's always easier to just buy a wire harness, but i have done it by matching wires also. In you case, the yellow wire is probably not used (I think it is light dimmer), and maybe not the black (radio may be grounded in another way). The red power wire will have to be hooked up. If it were me, I would turn on the key to make sure i have power to the radio, and use a voltmeter (or something) to make sure which wire is supplying power (one of the wires will be power). Hook that up to red and see if radio comes on. If not hook the black wire up to a ground, it may be one of the other wires or just attach to a screw that grounds to car. If you aren't getting power anywhere, check fuses.
Fire anyone's else, I use adapters too, even being an electrician, but the 04 adapter doesn't fit my 04, so I'm thought maybe mix year change and checked 05, and here's this dude I'm the same boat as me. Was there a change over 04-05 like Old/New 2000 Silverados?

Back